Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars THEATRE OF PAIN...INDEED!, February 9, 2002
This review is from: The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band (Hardcover)
I'm not a fan of Motley Crue (the people or their music) but this book came to my attention through all of the stories I have heard over the years. As far as rock biographies go, it's a fast paced read. Motley Crue epitomizes the message of "Sex, Drugs, and Rock N' Roll!" So since there are so many other reviews I think I'll just share what I have learned about the band members through their 430 page opus.
Vince Neil has the most penultimate tear-jerker in the chapter that deals with the death of his daughter. In a book made to shock and astonish, this was as touching a moment as anything I have read. Beyond his love and loss, he comes off like a stand-up guy who enjoys the life style and isn't making excuses.
Nikki Sixx had a rough childhood and has so many father-son issues it's not even funny. While I respect the fact that he's been through more turmoil than I'll ever know...get over it. There's nothing more pathetic than listening to rock star millionaires pining away about how sad they are. I guess money can't buy happiness.
Mick Mars has the least to say in this book and this left me the most intrigued. He has battled rough times from personal illness to divorce to just plain being the victim of emotional abuse. I'm amazed he stayed with the band as long as he has. His is the true sad story in The Dirt.
Tommy Lee...moron. Here is the epitome of a millionaire jerk who just never learns. How a guy like this managed to bag babes like Heather Locklear, Pamela Anderson, and Carmen Electra...is beyond me. Don't expect to learn anything from his chapters except to see a spoiled baby who is used to getting anything he wants, and if he doesn't then the tantrums start...then and now.
It's a testament to this book that I enjoyed reading it. The chapters flow quickly telling each band member's story and author Neil Strauss never slows down. And unlike biographies by other rock groups, these characters actually have some bizarre stories to tell...and how they survived is beyond me. While I may not be racing out to buy any Crue music, I'm very happy that I read this biography.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 7, 2008 12:17:21 AM PDT
K. Riley says:
After watching the bonus footage from the Carnival Of Sins tour, I would have to agree that Tommy Lee is a moron. A great drummer, but a moron. On the meet and greet bonus feature, there is a large man who is getting things autographed by the band. Tommy comes over to the camera and says something like 'show us your boobs', and quickly gets his mouth covered by the lady running the meet and greet. Really immature and not appreciative of the fans that paid 400.00 each for the experience, and the fans are the reason that Tommy is where he is today. Totally classless.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 2:14:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2011 2:16:06 AM PST
Rockstars:
-Some of the stupidest rich people you will ever see...
-Some of the richest stupid people you will ever see...
...But for what its worth, they are hilarious to watch!

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 7:24:47 AM PDT
Penultimate means "next-to-last", doesn't it? So if Vince Neil has "the penultimate tear-jerker" story, does that mean he has the next-to-last tear-jerker story in that chapter? Was that your point?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 8:59:03 AM PDT
M. Grant says:
Nope. I goofed. Sometimes I type before thinking.
Or maybe I just hot the sauce too much before writing.

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 1:29:50 PM PDT
J. Wozniak says:
Everyone who reads this book will see these guys differently - based on their own experiences I suppose - and there's nothing wrong with that. My interpretation is a bit different, tho we read the same book :)
To me all their stories were sad, but I have the least sympathy for Vince, although the story about his daughter and the guilt he felt after the car accident (and even his childhood) are all very potent in bringing out sympathetic feelings for the guy. I don't know anyone else who's had their throat slashed, lost their young child to cancer and killed a friend in a car crash. That's quite a lot to deal with. Yet in the end he still seems the most arrogant of the four.
Nikki's story is heartbreaking and I have to disagree with the fact that he comes off as a cry-baby - I didn't feel that way at all. I cannot imagine what it's like to grow up without anyone showing you the ropes in the most formative years of your life. His grandaparents may have been there for him but I think the damage was done by his parents before they could help. I'm amazed he can still function and be able to have a family of his own after everything he's been through.
Mick is by far the saddest case - I will agree.
As for Tommy - he may not have had the worst childhood but he also doesn't say that he did - he does admit that his parents were good to him for the most part and he appreciated that - and he does admit he was spoiled. But I really liked the fact that he candidly admits his faults - like he realizes he gets irrational when people ignore him, give him the silent treatment etc etc - now you may say that's being a spoiled brat - I disagree. My parents did the same thing to me and that alone has effected me greatly (speaking of the silent treatment here) - in fact it was only after reading Tommy's story that I realized just how much this has affected my own life - it was like reading about my own childhood in a way. So we will all see these stories through the prism of our own experiences. I didn't think I could learn anything from this book that would affect me personally - but it goes to show you - you can learn from any source :)

Posted on Sep 4, 2014 6:40:49 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 5, 2014 12:26:43 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2014 7:25:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 4, 2014 7:25:31 PM PDT
M. Grant says:
Could you please learn to correctly use the words YOUR and YOU'RE. They are not interchangeable.
Stop being so emotional and irate about a review that I wrote in... what...2002?

And, because I'm a last word freak, I love when people have to put down someone else while declaring "I have a great life and you don't, thus I am better than you!" Wow, you really showed me. In fact your (notice how I used it) life and experiences are so incredible that I've just been hired to write a book about it titled, MY PARENTS JUST LET ME USE THE INTERNET SO I'M GOING TO WHINE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT A REVIEW THAT WAS WRITTEN BEFORE I WAS BORN. Hmmmm...I may have to shorten that title to something like BITTER TEENAGE NERD.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2015 7:22:48 PM PST
C. Brad says:
<<Or maybe I just hot the sauce too much before writing.>>

Hey...don't knock "hitting the sauce" before reviewing. Hitting the sauce is a prerequisite to most of the reviews I write! In fact, the reviews I write sloshed get the most hits and the most positive votes as opposed to the ones I write when I don't have libations! Strange words come to me sometimes too but I don't let them interrupt my train of thought. I just throw my writing into a word doc before publishing, spell check it, read it, and any words I am doubtful about or sound too brainy I just keep a dictionary/thesaurus window open and throw them in there for a whirl before I publish. Hope this helps!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›