Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon GoodGirlsRevolt GoodGirlsRevolt GoodGirlsRevolt  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Deal for the Money, November 1, 2013
This review is from: Lenovo Ideatab S6000 10.1-Inch 16GB Tablet (Black) (Personal Computers)
I purchased this tablet after my six month old Nexus 7 broke, (horrible build quality, cracks in the screen, loose charging port - but that's another review). I really didn't want to spend a huge amount of money on another tablet and found the S6000 on Amazon.

To be honest, I was a little leery at first. This tablet cost the same as my Nexus 7, (2012 version), and had a 10.1 screen size. Granted, there are hardware differences between the two, (or between any tablets for that matter), but most people wouldn't know the difference. So I,hesitantly, placed my order.

The S6000 arrived and I was surprised! The tablet has a nice, solid "feel" and the screen is bright and crisp. I was a little concerned about the resolution on this tablet, (1280 by 800), but those worries were soon put to rest. My apps and videos looked great and text was easy to read. Is the display equivilant to "Retina Display?". No, it is not, but I honestly can't see a major difference between my S6000 and iPad.

Another nice feature with this tablet is the ability to add an SD card. I purchased a 32 GB card and it was easily installed. Just be aware, you can not store apps on the SD card. You can store music, pictures, media files, etc.. This is not a flaw with the S6000 and has everything to do with the Android operating system.

I have talked about some of the "high points" with the S6000 but must discuss some of the issues. This tablet ran most of my apps perfectly fine. However, I soon realized that Netflix would not work and my GPS apps wouldn't install. A quick Google search led me to the answers needed.

There was an issue with the Netflix app running on the S6000 since it was put into production. Lenovo did send a forward update out a couple of weeks ago to correct the issue,(it worked), but it also wiped my tablet to factory defaults. Make sure you purchase this tablet with the latest firmware or update the firmware prior to installing your apps, downloading music, etc.!

The next issue, (highly important to me), was discovered when I tried to install my GPS apps. The Lenovo S6000-F, (this tablet -the WiFi version), does not have a GPS chipset! Many people bought this tablet thinking it had this chip set due to Lenovo listing these specs on their website. GPS is only available on the S6000 3G tablets. I assume it was one of the cost cutting measures taken to make this tablet so affordable.

The last issue is lagging. This isn't a huge issue but it's noticeable when rotating the tablet or switching between apps. The screen response is nice but the lag is definitely there.

Would I buy this again? That's debatable. I love many of the features at this price point but the, (lack of), GPS is a deal breaker. If this isn't a major concern for you I would recommend the S6000. I really don't think you will find a tablet of this size and quality at this price.

- Price