Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works! It Works! It Works!, August 26, 2010
This review is from: Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB Direct-Drive Professional Turntable in Silver (Electronics)
I will not and actually cannot improve on the other reviews for this turntable. Right now Led Zeppelin I is playing as I type this and it sounds magnificent. My comments, after two days, are as follows:

1. The hum, I don't have one. Perhaps the most important problem that was identified in the reviews, I was prepared to rig up a ground wire but it was not necessary.

2. The power supply. Turned on just fine. However, I made sure that the connection to the the turntable was firm, give the plug a good push and you will feel it seat itself.

3. The on/off button. Yup, it's funky, but it turns on and off just fine.

4. The audio cables. Too short as noted, had to buy a pair of RCA couplers to connect to my receiver at an additional cost of 10$ for the gold plated variety. I actually would have preferred that AT just provide the ports and I would be pleased to supply my own cables.

5. The cartridge. I am not an audiophile and it sounds fine tracking at the 3.0 grams, which, according to a review may be underestimated.

6. Assembly. A bit of a pain, but I proceeded slowly and methodically. I also read the instructions twice before proceeding, sort of the measure twice cut once school of thought.

7. Tone arm adjustment. A bit tedious but I read the recommendations from the reviews here and consulted a Youtube video on line.

8. Connections. Connected to a Yamaha RXV367 5.1 A/V reciever via the Audio 1 ports. The built in preamp is a pleasant surprise and works just fine. I was more than prepared to purchase a preamp if necessary.

9. Overall, a great value. A direct drive turntable at about half the price of its competition. My Technics SLBD20D has just been cleaned and adjusted and will be dedicated to converting my vinyl to digital. I would have preferred to buy a non-USB version of the AT but obviously they do not have a 120 non-USB.

10. The service. Ordered through AMAZON and delivered as promised. But it is a heavy sucker and make sure you consider that the platter is taped underneath the turntable when you unpack it.

11. Remember, this is a manual turntable, there is no auto shutoff like my Technics.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 11, 2010, 9:11:08 AM PDT
Jonker says:
Assembly and tonearm adjustment is pretty standard. What I mean is any non-junky turntable will require pretty much the proceedures, and some of the high-end models can be much more trouble, like those where you have to mount the cartridge on a non-removable headshells, or that have complicated suspensions. Experienced uses will find setting up the TT easy, less experienced users less easy, but either way it's par for the course, not a demerit of this turntable vs. other comparables.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2010, 8:12:06 AM PST
Athenasowl says:
My comment on the adjustment was not meant to be a demerit. I am one of those less experienced users who was perhaps, overly careful, about making sure the adjustment was made properly and I thought that pointing it out may be helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2010, 10:44:33 AM PST
B-3Funk says:
Hey there Hawkeye,
Looking into replacing my old Philips 212 with this. Everything I've read is making me lean towards the AT-LP120, but my only concern is the no auto shut off. Now when you say no auto shut off, do you mean that is literally keeps spinning with the stylus in the deadwax? Or it stops spinning, but the arm just doesn't automatically lift?

thanks,
kurt

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010, 2:49:32 AM PST
Athenasowl says:
The former. It keeps spinning with the stylus in the deadwax. There is an On-Off switch which turns the power on and off AND there is a Start-Stop switch which starts and stops the spinning. So, at the end of the record you have to lift and replace the arm, and then hit the stop switch to stop the spinning but the power is still on. You can check the Audio Technica web site, I think they have the users manual on-line for this piece of equipment.

Happy Listening.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2011, 8:21:27 AM PST
DjCode says:
it will just keep spinning "Full Manual"

Posted on Sep 20, 2012, 5:07:12 AM PDT
sd

Posted on Mar 17, 2015, 7:50:38 AM PDT
Djk says:
Agree completely...just got mine 3/14/15 same experience.

Posted on Apr 9, 2015, 1:17:44 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 9, 2015, 1:18:05 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2015, 12:27:40 PM PST
Andy Millea says:
No proper turntables have auto stop, thats for amateur crap ones mate.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2016, 12:45:24 PM PST
Dave K says:
I agree!!! this is NOT a turntable for "armatures"...but buy it and use it and you will no-longer be a "armature"! lol
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›