To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness.
1. Bigger than your average repeaters but looks like an enterprise AP, so plus points there. 2. 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz frequencies supported with parent SSID broadcast. This means you can use your router's SSID for a seamless experience. 3. Its big and its white. If you end up bricking it, you will be bricking a brick. 4. Two LAN ports (Amazing !!!) 5. Switching is fast.Internet connects fast. 6. Good number of connectivity cables provided in the box. 7. Yet to observe any ping loss.
1. Its big (con if you like tiny things). 2. LAN port has a single activity LED. 3. Setup was a pain (from the perspective of owning and using Dlink/Motorola/Tplink/Asus/Netgear routers,REs and APs). Setup itself will require a separate review article but a few points below :
======================================================================================================== a. Web interface is primitive and reminiscent of the early days of the internet. b. While searching for available SSIDs they do not have the mac id listed making it impossible to differentiate between the main router and the other range extenders ( I have a good many). c. If you configure and reboot there is absolutely no way to identify the ip of the RE for further configuration(if DHCP enabled). Didn't show up on the routers client map by its name. Instead I was able to dig out the ip when I saw that all the subscribers were for some reason using the RE4000Ws mac id. d. extender.linksys.com doesn't work......ever !!!! e. For some unfathomable reason it needs to be configured over wifi. Though deep down a few pages there is an option to wire it in and configure but clicking on it basically forces you back to the wireless configuration options. f. Current Firmware version is not available on the update page at a glance. Went to the internet homepage of Linksys and dug up the only firmware update they ever uploaded and that was from 2014 !!!! g. Downloaded the firmware and went through the upload workflow but never got a message if the firmware was new or old or needs implementation AT ALL ! h. Boatloads of other things which I do not wish to comment on. ======================================================================================================== 4. Gets too hot too fast. Is that by design ? 5. Boot up is time consuming. 6. There is no LAN configuration which can be considered intuitive and useful. 7. Costly-almost as much as an Asus RE but half as user friendly.
1. For amateurs/home users : Stay away. Get a TP Link or netgear and they are lightyears ahead in terms of setup and user friendliness. 2. Tinkernuts : Even though the switching and general performance once setup is commendable, recommendation is to stay away from this one since the challenges you face are not worth the rewards. 3. Gamers : Are you kidding ? You are not a gamer if you are hooking up with an RE. 4. After sales service : yet to see how they provide support. Intend to update this thread if such an experience occurs. 5. Will it solve your life's problems ? -No. But it will add more and your cat will abandon you. 7. What were my other choices ? Asus RP N53, TP Link RE200 and RE450.
Amazon Feedback: 5 stars
1. Being awesome for listing this product. 2. Super fast and easily traceable delivery service.
Product Seller Feedback : 5 stars
1. Thumbs up for being super fast with shipping. 2. Thumbs up for getting it in my impatient hands in one day. 3. Packing it nicely so that it survives that super fast journey.
I purchased it on 28 July 2015 with 3 year of warranty,On 3rd July linksys people says policy is changed and if product is purchased after 2016, then they provide warranty. Now who is responsible for warranty which is promised at the time of purchase.