Top positive review
A Fantastic and Underrated Headset
Reviewed in the United States on February 2, 2019
The Razer Kraken TE is only rated around 3.5 stars at the time that I am writing this review. Let me tell you right now that most of the reviews for this product that are under 4 stars complain about things that they just don't know how to use. For instance, the headset comes with an audio controller that you can mount using its adhesive back. This controller has multiple buttons on it, and one of them controls the THX Spatial Audio. I believe that many of the users who have complained about this feature not working have not done their research. You should never buy a product before doing your research. I hate seeing the ratings for products such as these go down because people don't know what they are doing. To get that THX Spatial Audio to work, you need to be using that audio controller, AND you need to have Razer Synapse 3 on your computer. You can still use the headphones without the audio controller, but you will NOT be able to use the THX Spatial Audio. Before you start complaining about how annoying that is, you should really consider what Razer is trying to accomplish here. It is obvious from both the marketing and device setup that they are using this THX Spatial Audio for an enhanced GAMING experience. This doesn't mean that they don't sound when listening to music or other uses, as I can assure you that they do, but it means that you won't need that spatial audio unless you are using it for gaming. You should understand the ins and outs of a product at this price point before you buy it, and it is NOT difficult to figure that out. If the pictures and descriptions aren't enough, then watch some reviews/unboxings on YouTube! Most, if not all of your questions will be answered, and you won't feel like you aren't getting what you paid for!
The Razer Synapse 3 software is one of the many gems that makes this product stand out. Using this software, you can do all of the following with ease:
- Fine tune specific audio settings to your liking. This includes enhancements such as Sound Normalization and Voice Clarity, and you can also use the EQ to adjust 10 individual frequencies.
- Adjust/toggle microphone settings. This includes enhancements, sensitivity, volume, and even sidetone. Sidetone lets you listen to what your microphone is picking up with NO DELAY, so you can hear yourself and your real-life surroundings with the headset on.
- Customize audio for specific applications using the Mixer. You can select if you would rather have Stereo or Surround Sound for each application specifically, and you can also calibrate and adjust the spatial audio if you hear things differently.
- Manage/create multiple presets that contain all of the aforementioned settings to switch between on the fly. You can even assign these presets to applications, so your headset will automatically switch to them when a specific application is being used. It will switch right back to what you were on before when you stop using that application as well.
The microphone sounds just as good as the other Razer Kraken headset microphones if not better, and as I have mentioned, can be customized using the Razer Synapse 3 software.
The headset is extremely comfortable, and the cooling gel-infused ear cushions are amazing. They feel great and the headset is very light overall. For those wondering, the construction is made up plastic and what feels to be a lightweight aluminum. As advertised, the top cushion is definitely softer than previous Kraken iterations, and sometimes it almost feels as though I am not even wearing my headset! Good build quality and comfort.
The audio controller takes the headphone input in the form of a 3.5 mm audio jack and outputs to your PC via USB. I know already wrote a bit about the audio controller earlier in the review, but here are its features as well:
- Volume Up/Volume Down buttons
- Toggle Microphone Mute button
- Bass adjustment knob
- Game/Chat balance knob
- Toggle THX Spatial Audio button
There is also a basic in-line audio controller on the cable of the headset, and it allows for the following:
- Volume Adjustment knob
- Toggle Microphone Mute switch
The main thing that everyone wants to know is how do they sound? Well, I personally think that they sound great and are a clear upgrade from my previous Kraken 7.1 Chroma headset. I use the THX Spatial Audio for games, and it is actually crazy how easy it is to tell where things are in-game. It was one of the first things that I noticed when I used these for the first time when playing games.
In conclusion, this headset is honestly insanely good, especially for the price. I felt that I needed to do it justice by writing such a lengthy review to go over most of the features and shed light on some misinformed/uninformed reviews. I've spent a decent amount of time writing this, and hopefully at least some of you found it helpful. Let me know if you have any questions, and have a nice day/night.
P.S. Please excuse any spelling/grammar errors. If I made a big mistake in my writing then please let me know, and I will fix it.