Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17
Customer Discussions > The Secret (Extended Edition) forum

secret? what secret?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 2, 2007, 10:04:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2007, 10:29:14 AM PST
Ian Vance says:
The problem with 'The Secret' etc. is that it often encourages pseudoscience and New Age horsepuckey. I prefer Ken Wilbur's "we CO-create our reality". Yes, positive thinking does improve your life, this is no secret -- Jesus preached it two thousand years ago (or so the Romans wrote) and the self-help industry has thrived on teaching these secrets, usually for really big bucks coupled with mild hypnotherapy techniques so that people will take all their courses (research LGATs on the net).

Here's something to chew on: if everyone had a million dollars, a million dollars wouldn't be worth squat. What good is a secret that puts you on the top when everyone's got it and the "top" is a level playing ground? -- if everyone could just get this knowledge (one of the goals of LGAT-type seminars and the positive-thinking market as a whole, both in altruistic intention and as a form of survival-propagation) and make the world a "wealthier" place, well why then everyone sure as heck wouldn't want to wash the dishes for rich people at restaurants, pump gasoline or fix sewage pipes. They'd be "following their dream," and working on a highway crew or ringing customers at the local circle-K sure isn't the dreams of most. In other words, if everyone had this "secret" and it really worked the effortless way it is trumpted to, the conflicting co-creations of "reality" everyone is supposedly constantly putting out would sure make a mess of our society in no time whatsoever.

IMO, it can be very dangerous when people use this "secret" to justify their personal conceptions of the world, especially when those conceptions are based out of ignorance. I haven't actually seen this video, though I've studied the source material for years and years. It does work, to a degree, though the emphasis on material acquisition is overhyped and dangerous (given how rapidly we are destroying the earth through the American obsession with BIG BIG LOOK AT ME) -- this material-focus in the positive-thinking genre essentially panders to the fact that the majority of people are programmed to a consumerist paradigm resulting from the 10,000 - 20,000 commercials an average child watches during the formulative years of 7-12.

As I said, I haven't seen the movie though I know what it is about. From the reviews it sounds about on-par with What the Bleep Do We know, a false, manipulative and shoddy product of "experts" including a woman who has bilked thousands of dollars out of gullible people pretending she channels a person from Atlantis.

Those who tend to make the most money from self-help are those who preach & package it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2007, 10:38:59 PM PST
J. Arena says:
Ian Vance stated:

"... it can be very dangerous when people use this "secret" to justify their personal conceptions of the world, especially when those conceptions are based out of ignorance. I haven't actually seen this video..."

WELL, I guess there is no need, then, for further comment, eh?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2007, 5:23:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2007, 6:00:41 PM PST
Ian Vance says:
I spent $3500 in intense LGAT training (P.S.I. -- People Synergistically Involved) for the exact information 10 years ago, and Anthoney Robbins has been making money hand over fist for more than two decades shilling 'the secret'. One can buy Napolean Hill's Think and Grow Rich for a few dollars with the exact same info sans New Age malarky and hypnotherapic 'games' and exercizes for implimentation (the "revised" edition in my library was published in 1960, and I believe the original was published in the 30's or 40's, based on Carnagie's funded research). Some "secret".

It's no mystery that humans are energetic beings and what they focus their energy on, they *usually* get. Note that "usually". Oprah Winfrey would not be Oprah Winfry if she didn't have millions of people tuning in. Ergo, not everyone can be Oprah Winfrey, nor expect "the secret" to give them immediate and/or lasting success, particularly in a competitive climate. Genetics (aka "luck of the draw") and hard work are factors far more reliable than repeating affirmations every day, though affirmations *will* make you a generally happier person. The issue here is that this is marketed as a "big secret" in the first place, when the basis of it is in the BIBLE; also, the way the chaotic element within the universe is dismissed by those hawking this material. In other words, there is a functioning reality removed from one's subjective/objective experience of it and the "guilt" issues associated therein -- you didn't "get" it because you didn't think positive about it -- is flat out disgusting. Go to Darfur and toot "the secret" and see how the natives react.

And no, no need for comment, I believe I said it all.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2007, 5:39:42 AM PST
Because everyone has to start somewhere. Years ago and now, not everyone had a dollar but the ones that did or did not knew how to take the knowledge and apply it to making a nice reality for themselves. It still happens today millions /billions or broke. It's just a help to have knowledge and use if for the good. whatever your choices are money to help etc.
TY
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Mar 2, 2007
Latest post:  Mar 6, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about