Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

50 shades of Gray- Gets a flat "zero"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 61 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012, 5:06:28 AM PDT
Who in the book had an abortion? Did you not know what this book was about? It may not be for everybody, but don't push your prudish ideals on the rest of us, please.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012, 1:09:54 PM PDT
DLS_CDN says:
Can they get a "Clueless" actress to play Ana in the movie???

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012, 10:19:38 AM PDT
gina says:
I agree, and want to add that while browsing thru some of the "positive" responses from other readers - I couldn't help noticing their poor grammar and spelling. Hmmmm...that must be the connection. Gina

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012, 10:26:01 AM PDT
JudyC says:
It's so badly written and deeply boring it's not worth taking it out of the box. But go ahead, it's not worth all the angst, just open the box and be as bored as everyone else.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012, 10:12:16 AM PDT
I want my money back EL James, $9.99 Kindle edition. 50 Shades of BS.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012, 7:01:56 PM PDT
Michelle Ann says:
I know several people that read all three books and just raved about them. I had ordered the first one, and dug into it promptly when it was uploaded to my Fire. After chapter four, I couldn't stand it anymore and I returned it. It's just my opinion, but it was just painful to read. I've read plenty of books that didn't make the grade, but this one...I will gladly tell everyone not to buy it.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012, 6:05:31 PM PDT
Curlygirl says:
One nice feature about using a kindle, you can always download a sample of the book before a purchase. Helps to avoid books you may not like, there by saving you $$$$.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012, 4:59:21 PM PDT
roxigrrl says:
Here is the review that lady did with the count on repetition. I just want to add that I agree with all the bad points but it still was an interesting story, just poorly executed. I felt the 2nd book was pretty good. I enjoyed it.

Ana says "Jeez" 81 times and "oh my" 72 times. She "blushes" or "flushes" 125 times, including 13 that are "scarlet," 6 that are "crimson," and one that is "stars and stripes red." (I can't even imagine.) Ana "peeks up" at Christian 13 times, and there are 9 references to Christian's "hooded eyes" and 7 to his "long index finger." Characters "murmur" 199 times and "whisper" 195 times (doesn't anyone just talk?), "clamber" on/in/out of things 21 times, and "smirk" 34 times. Finally, in a remarkable bit of symmetry, our hero and heroine exchange 124 "grins" and 124 "frowns"... which, by the way, seems an awful lot of frowning for a woman who experiences "intense," "body-shattering," "delicious," "violent," "all-consuming," "turbulent," "agonizing" and "exhausting" orgasms on just about every page.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012, 5:41:18 PM PDT
sarah says:
i sadly agree...i couldnt wait to read them, but it surely was a disappointment

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012, 6:09:36 PM PDT
gadgetgirl says:
It was actually a man that wrote that, DS is a man.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012, 5:47:12 PM PDT
ChrisM says:
I have the book and can't get through the 2nd chapter - I'm so BORED! Funny thing is a handful of women at work are reading the books and OMG - they LOVE it! Well, these are the same women who read Twilight (another poorly written series) and LOVED those. When I bring up the fact that they were terrible and that Bella whined on every single page (they picked the perfect actress for Bella - one who whines in every movie and never smiles).... I also think that these 2 series are the only books that they have ever read. I am always reading and love to suggest wonderful books (willing to loan them to them also), but rarely get a taker. I'm 52 and have been reading steadily since I was a pre-teen and take pride in that. So, JudyC, you and I are in total agreement - way too boring. (By the way, if anyone wants to read sexy novels, you could pick up a romance novel - not Harlequin-type - and get the sex and at least it would have more substance than these books). As for me, I'll take books like The Help, Water for Elephants, any Phillippa Gregory or Jodi Piccoult novel where I can learn something, be moved by realistic situations and people. If/when they make a movie out of these, I won't be in attendance as I can sleep at home...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012, 12:54:05 PM PDT
Lady Writer says:
She'll give you your money back, Ginger...she can now afford to. LOL!

Posted on Jul 10, 2012, 7:47:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2012, 7:48:58 AM PDT
karebear says:
This book, and its success, is the kind of thing that makes me want to give up reading.

On goodreads, it is rated #1 romance of all time. OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think the other books are like #2 and #4, and another shitstorm, beautiful disaster, is rated #3. I no longer want to read, but also no longer want to be in love.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012, 3:38:02 PM PDT
Aisha W says:
I seriously can't believe all of the hype behind 50 shades of Grey! This is the most juvenile piece of garbage I have EVER read! Sorry to those of you who loved this book..I'm glad you did and you enjoyed yourself..buy I couldn't get past the repetitive dialogue long enough to even care if it was a plot! I felt like I was reading an x-rated version of "Leave It To Beaver"!

Anna is so annoying with all of her "inner goddess", "holy crap", "holy Sh#t", "holy this", "holy that" "oh my" and the 10,000 times she said how "HOT" Christain was! She "flushed Scarlet"? WTH does that even mean?? Who says that?? Is she english or American? I couldn't tell! Who orders "Twilings English Breakfast Tea" at IHOP?? Christain seemed more like a serial killer than a romantic hero! He tracks her cell phone, mysteriously finds out where she works, and buys cable ties and rope?? That's not a red flag?? I read a lot, and I do mean A LOT of romance novels of all sub-genres and I have NEVER read such crap! I think her teenage neice must have written this because I can't see how anybody over the age of 18 could write something like this! The only teen that would probably write this would be one from the 60"s! I swear I kept waiting for Wally and the Beaver to come out and say "Golly gee Anna, why are you so gosh darn stupid?" "He gave you a lots of reasons to be scared of him!" Jeez..I just don't get it!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012, 11:59:07 PM PDT
sema4dogz says:
Misfit on the Goodreads forum does the hilarious listing of cliches

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012, 10:57:02 AM PDT
B. Rhodes says:
If you will look at the first page of reviews directly under the section where you can purchase the ebook you will see this review. It is hilarious!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012, 3:37:50 PM PDT
Susan says:
Bravo, cannot wait to read your magnum opus. Please, please let us know when it's available!
Susan T.

Posted on Jul 19, 2012, 8:16:42 PM PDT
kozmo1 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2012, 2:52:57 PM PDT
Danny says:
Excellent comment. If you want to read something good, then try "My Inner Goddess". That is a parody of FSoG. You'll love it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012, 9:53:19 AM PDT
Nana says:
eBay or sell it on amazon for a penny and 3.99 S&H. Dilemma solved easily.

Posted on Aug 27, 2012, 3:41:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2012, 3:43:34 PM PDT
Digirl says:
I must agree about the books being poorly written. As well as the repetition being annoying, but with that said... I thought it was a fun read. It was about fantasy and fun I don't think it was meant to be taken so seriously.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012, 3:43:47 PM PDT
Well, I cant desagree with all the reviews, there is a lot of repetition, some lines seem to be taken from twilight, but the inner goddess thing is fanny. Its definetely cheap erotic literature, but it is damn good, If you start it, you wont be able to put it down...

Posted on Sep 1, 2012, 4:16:24 PM PDT
Nana says:
I wish the book would help make readers better spellers.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012, 4:35:51 PM PDT
gadgetgirl says:
I wish it would make the author a better writer, but that didn't happen.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012, 12:35:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2012, 1:07:26 AM PDT
A L James says:
Fifty Shades is controversial because it goes against the grain of political correctness when it comes to men-women interactions and it is anathema to much that the feminist movement has achieved so far.

Many men and women don't get it when it comes to human sexuality. The Chinese have long cherished the concept of Yin and Yang (female vs male force) to maintain a good balance. Yin feminine energy (cool/soft/shady) is nurturing and supportive while Yang masculine energy (hot/hard/bright) is powerful and independent. The cult followers of S&M and many in the gay and lesbian community get it as their relationships often encompass "dominant" and "passive" partners to create a certain dynamic and tension.

Many young women want an equal partnership and consequently everything is divided 50:50 - finances, housework, child minding, etc. New Age young men also thought the division was logical. Years on, this has given rise to metrosexuals and men with smooth waxed bodies and shaved underarms. Then women discover that they are not finding marital bliss in the bedrooms because he is too much like her!

Fifty Shades creates the traditional man dominant and girl submissive fantasy that a lot of women want. Such politically incorrect sentiments are made more palatable with love. Young virgin has fallen head over heel for Mr Grey and his cold cruel heart is awakened to the possibility of love.

Readers of Fifty Shades can trade their dark fantasies for the real life experiences expressed by Chris DeLorean in Fiery Love Poems!

Fiery Love Poems - Wild & Raw! (Forbidden Euphoria)
Fiery Love Poems - Lust & Loss (Forbidden Euphoria)
Fiery Love Poems - Burn till it Sizzles! (Forbidden Euphoria)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  44
Total posts:  61
Initial post:  Apr 18, 2012
Latest post:  May 4, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers