Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno
Customer Discussions > BELLY: A Brutal Bible Tale forum

But if it shocks you, maybe you needed to be shocked.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 22, 2010, 3:54:26 PM PDT
Violent, Confrontational, and Fascinating, July 11, 2010
By Ray Dittmeier (Louisville, KY) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: 3 BRUTAL BIBLE TALES (Kindle Edition)
"3BRUTAL BIBLE TALES" is a fascinating book. It's violent, confrontational, and might even be uncomfortable in places, depending on your sensibilities. Rage takes a selection prominent Biblical figures and and puts them in a contemporary world full of drug dealers, gangsters, pimps, prostitutes, perverts, and even vampires. But this is not just a facile, updated retelling of old stories, nor is it shock value simply for the sake of shock.

Rage uses the Biblical material as a starting point to tell his own stories. This book is well-thought-out, told in a distinctive and confident style that keeps the reader turning pages. If you want to complain that some of the sex and violence is gratuitous, I won't--I can't--argue the point. I'm not sure I'd want to say that "gratuitousness is the point" is ever a valid defense, but then again, I would insist that in a book like this it's better to go too far than not to go far enough.

The book gives us a new context for looking at this source material (if I may call it such), like a cynical Sunday school teacher telling the kids, "This is what these stories are really about." And maybe it is, if you can approach the book with no expectations and just let it be what it is--tales of greed, ambition, betrayal, cruelty--and ultimately, salvation. As I said earlier, this is not shock value simply for the sake of shock. But if it shocks you, maybe you needed to be shocked.

Posted on Dec 30, 2010, 3:16:04 PM PST
coming soon in paperback! "BELLY: A Brutal Bible Tale" "The Fall of a Blood Drinking Drug Dealer" and "For All The Marbles". Get at me on my Amazon Author page for more ...

Posted on Nov 20, 2011, 10:16:28 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 14, 2012, 2:52:10 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Jul 22, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

This discussion is about
BELLY: A Brutal Bible Tale
BELLY: A Brutal Bible Tale by Reverend Steven Rage
5.0 out of 5 stars (1)