Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 7, 2008, 8:32:41 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 9, 2008, 8:29:35 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008, 10:39:51 PM PST
Book Lover says:
Actually after the comments the Seinfelds have made about Lapine I think she has EVERY right to take them to court. The Seinfelds (especially Jerry) dug their own grave.
I imagine that the Seinfelds figured she would just roll over and go away, and that they can make any harmful comments about whoever they like.
Going on Letterman and claiming that Lapine is "a celebrity stalker" and some other crap about tying her name into well known KILLERS.
Oh YEA Lapine definitely has a case for defamation!

As for the plagarism from what is being made public it really looks as tho, Lapine does have a case.
What YOU call "sour grapes" law abiding citizens would call STEALING. Go look at the facts and BTW take a look at Lapines credentials........

One other little bit for you to chew on, the ONLY reason that Jessica Seinfelds book EVEN took off, becoming popular is because of her appearance on OPRAH.

Telling someone to lighten up after they have been called a "stalker" and compared to "Killers" is really ridiculous, and these are ONLY 2 of the Seinfelds comments that I can come up with off the top of my head. Jerry made his rounds on all the talk shows talking smack about Lapine........ You would think he would be smart enough to not say such things in front of the cameras. (oh thats right he's a celeb who thinks he's ABOVE THE LAW)

The Seinfelds will either settle out of court (cause they know they are in the wrong) OR try and fight in court BUT will lose.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008, 9:10:08 AM PST
James22 says:
This is only silly if you think people should get away with plagiarism AND defamation, which I don't. By stealing from Lapine's work and slandering an honest author, Jessica and Jerry Seinfeld have not only have proven how despicable they are, but have clearly broken the law. I hope they have to pay millions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008, 11:03:44 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 9, 2008, 8:29:16 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008, 12:37:52 PM PST
Ilan Kutok says:
New Mom,
You are completely correct. Seinfeld's comments were made for the sake of comedy, which is the point of David Lettermans show.
And the idea of stealing an idea as bad as sneaking veggies into unhealthy food I think is the funniest thing of all. And this is kinda what Jerry was poking fun at. 'Vegi-plaugarism'...he is insulting his wife as much as this author.
But I am sure some lawyer told her she would have a nice pay day by suing someone as rich as the Seinfelds, and of course the laywer will get notoriety and a possible cut from the frivilous lawsuit.
I wish Missy would crawl back into the hole she came from. But at least her book sales will increase.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008, 4:07:18 PM PST
Bartholomew says:
I've read both books and it was pretty clear where Jessica "discovered" her idea's and methods. It is one thing to have a similar cookbook but not to the point of having almost identical receipes, page layouts, wording and images.
Ask yourself "why" Seinfeld was on Lettermans show......I think it was mostly to promote his wife's cookbook and to insult and defame the Sneaky Chef. So many shows and one topic but I didn't think that his comments were for the sake of comedy. He did it to demean the competition and to give the impression that Lapine was a nut.

I hope that Lapine wins and Seinfeld pays through the nose

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008, 4:31:00 PM PST
bookaholic says:
Gee, I bet that's a new defense against defamation: "I was trying to be funny." I, for one, don't see anything humorous about someone being called "wacko," and compared to serial killers, simply because she's an honest author whose work was stolen by a celebrity. And let's not forget that Lapine wasn't the one who originally pointed out the evidence of plagiarism -- readers of "The Sneaky Chef" and the press did that.

And the law is the law. What Jerry Seinfeld did is defamation, pure and simple. Plagiarism will be harder to prove, as always is, but anyone who's compared the books carefully will conclude that the chances that all the similarities are coincidences is very close to zero. Let's not forget that Seinfeld's publisher rejected Lapine's book before it hired Seinfeld, that Jessica has an agent of rather questionable reputation (and a history of representing plagiarists), and that Jessica herself is a pathological liar with no morals whatsoever. I bet Lapine is going to get a lot of money from the Seinfelds, and she will deserve every penny.

And I find the "argument" that "there are bigger fish to fry" simply silly. That's almost always the case. According to that point of view, we should let people get away with misdemeanors, felonies and any crimes lesser than capital offenses. According to your argument, there are bigger fish to fry, so why prosecute thieves and child molesters? That's a ridiculous, and dangerous, argument.

The Seinfelds broke the law. It's time they pay for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008, 5:12:20 PM PST
Book Lover says:
Go over to "the smoking gun" , it's a web site that has copies of the court papers that were filed on behalf of Lapine. I read thru all of them, Seinfeld NOT only went on Letterman, but MANY other shows where he made INSULTING remarks. No way was he doing it for comedy, he was being serious.

OH and Lapine submitted her rough draft to Jessica Seinfelds publishing house NOT Once But TWICE.
Both times they rejected her, so she went to another publishing house and they took her on. Funny how then Jessica Seinfeld comes out with a similar book.....

Here's how it's going to go down, more than likely they will settle out of court, THEN the Seinfelds will turn around and sue their publishing house.

Seriously go take a look on "the smoking gun", Lapine has a strong case. Defamation is almost a slam dunk win for Lapine, the plagiarizing might be a bit harder to prove, but from what is in the court papers she has a big chance of winning.

Seinfeld should have NEVER opened up his mouth about Lapine, whether for comedy or what. I don't buy that BTW..... His PR people should have told him not to open his mouth.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008, 7:58:12 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 9, 2008, 8:28:42 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2008, 8:25:42 AM PST
A. You says:
Well, that's Bookaholic's point, isn't it New Mom? Unless we're talking about murder, there are always more serious crimes, so what? We should let someone get away with plagiarism and defamation, which are against the law, simply because there are more serious crimes?
And telling someone to "relax" simply because they've made an argument you can't successfully debate is patronizing and makes you look foolish. You're the one who started this thread, attacking a woman ("extortion": are you kidding me?) simply because she had the temerity of refusing to let two rich and powerful people steal from her and then slander her on national television. The Seinfelds have acted like thugs. I hope they pay dearly for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2008, 8:44:13 AM PST
bookaholic says:
New Mom (AKA as 80sQueen) has deleted her totally illogic, but highly amusing posts. That's too bad. I particularly enjoyed the one where she said it was unfortunate the world wasn't filled with more people who were as tolerant... as herself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2008, 10:00:19 AM PST
Book Lover says:
Dang I missed her last one... "tolerant as herself" LOL what utopia.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2008, 6:07:19 PM PST
ME says:
I was happy when I heard that Lapine finally slapped the Seinfelds with a lawsuit. If the Seinfelds try to settle out of court, I hope that Lapine refuses. She should just drag it out long enough for the world to know how despicable the Seinfelds are.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2008, 9:57:43 AM PST
Colleen10014 says:
I doubt the case will ever make it to court. That would involve Nina/Jessica taking the stand and trying to come up with a story about how she didn't plagiarize a book that she clearly plagiarized. That's called perjury. But I agree it would be fun, not to mention just, to see the Seinfelds exposed as the thugs they are.

As for Oprah, she should treat Jessica Seinfeld the same way she treated James Frey after he was discovered to be a liar and a cheat. But judging from her very eloquent silence on this matter, I guess Oprah doesn't mind plagiarism as long as it's committed by someone who's married to a celebrity.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2008, 10:27:47 AM PST
ME says:
I agree UES. The case will probably never make it to court. Nina/Jessica (whatever name du jour she's using) would have to explain how she came up with the recipes.

As long as it's a celebrity friend, Oprah does not seem to mind whatever uncouth matter the celebrity friend is involved in. Just look at how she treated Janet Jackson after that "wardrobe malfuntion" ------ viewed by children. Janet got the royal treatment when she showed up at Oprah's show, while the high school guidance counselor who posed nude for a men's magazine, and was obviously clinically depressed, got a public tongue lashing.

With the way things are going, I would not be surprised if Oprah ignores Lapine's situation and doesn't give her the airtime she deserves to promote HER cookbook.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2008, 8:07:44 PM PST
ME says:
Okay, everyone, have you seen the name of Lapine's newest book? It is: "Sneaky Chef: How to Cheat on Your Man (In the Kitchen!): Hiding Healthy Foods in Hearty Meals Any Guy Will Love" LOL! I kid you not! That is truly the name of her newest book! Ms. Lapine (the smart cookie that she is) is capitalizing on the controversy, and plunking the Seinfeld's on the head at the same time! This is just too funny!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2008, 10:22:29 AM PDT
I agree. Seinfeld has never been a cook and has no expertise or education in this area or close to this area. There is no way she could produce this book without copying. Besides the fact that when you compare the books side by side they are practically identical. There's no doubt Jessica's book came straight out of Sneaky Chef. Also Jerry Seinfeld wasn't just trying to be funnying when he was talking bad about Missy he was making a point and hoping people would take sides. He was hoping that people would rally to his side and purchase Seinfeld's book instead of Sneaky Chef. He was way out of line. Seifeld's would be stupid not to settle. Seinfeld's did wrong. I had even went to purchase Seinfeld's book and when I realized how simply it was and heard about this lawsuit. I canceled my order for Seinfeld's book. I won't support their dishonesty.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2008, 10:55:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2008, 1:55:55 PM PDT
ME says:
The Seinfelds have been mighty quiet since the lawsuit was filed.....I guess they didn't think the lawsuit was as funny as when Jerry was slandering Lapine.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2008, 5:02:13 PM PDT
Colleen10014 says:
The only "silly" thing is Jessica's blatant plagiarism. If you're going to copy someone else's work, you should at least try to disguise what you're doing. But from what I hear from people who actually know her, Jessica/Nina Sklar Nederlander Seinfeld (five names! I wonder what that makes her...) is not the brightest bulb in the Upper West Side.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2008, 10:18:18 AM PDT
Jay Solomon says:
The only reason that Jessica's book was famous is because of Jerry's fame.

He is my favorite comedian but his comments about Lapine were completly innapropriate and uncalled for.

Lapine has every right to sue.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2008, 1:41:00 PM PST
YogaAnn says:
The funny thing is NEITHER of these so called authors was first. FIRST was the REAL chef, Chris Fisk with her book Sneaky Veggies which came out BEFORE EIThER of the other two were out. Unfortunately for Chef Fisk, she had three strikes against her, 1- She's not married to a celebrity, 2- SHE is not in it for the celebrity of the thing, and 3- She has more class than anyone I know and she is not getting in the mud with these two. If you want to read a great book by a real chef, read and use Sneaky Veggies. No hype, just an honest comittment to teaching people to feed themselves and their families, good wholesome easy food. It's also FUNNY. Chef Fisk also trained at Barnum and Bailey Clown College AND she is one heck of a good writer.

Posted on Sep 12, 2009, 9:08:31 PM PDT
SpinGal says:
http://www.slashfood.com/2009/09/11/judge-tosses-out-jessica-seinfeld-cookbook-suit/?icid=main|hp-laptop|dl3|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.slashfood.com%2F2009%2F09%2F11%2Fjudge-tosses-out-jessica-seinfeld-cookbook-suit%2F

Now what is everyone have to say? It looks like the Seinfeld's were vindicated.

Posted on Sep 12, 2009, 9:16:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2009, 9:17:33 PM PDT
Reader says:
The Seinfeld's were not vindicated --- the judge left it open for a slander lawsuit against Jerry, and a lawsuit against the publishing house for breach of contract (in other words the publishing house gave Jessica the material to copy from, and then published it under Jessica's name).

Posted on Sep 12, 2009, 10:56:36 PM PDT
YogaAnn says:
The funny thing is NEITHER of these so called authors was first. FIRST was the REAL chef, Chris Fisk with her book Sneaky Veggies which came out BEFORE EIThER of the other two were out. Unfortunately for Chef Fisk, she had three strikes against her, 1- She's not married to a celebrity, 2- SHE is not in it for the celebrity of the thing, and 3- She has more class than anyone I know and she is not getting in the mud with these two. If you want to read a great book by a real chef, read and use Sneaky Veggies. No hype, just an honest comittment to teaching people to feed themselves and their families, good wholesome easy food. It's also FUNNY. Chef Fisk also trained at Barnum and Bailey Clown College AND she is one heck of a good writer.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2009, 11:18:01 PM PDT
Reader says:
Yes, YogaAnn, we saw your posting the first time around. Fisk didn't sue because she doesn't have a case, Lapine does.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Jan 7, 2008
Latest post:  Oct 30, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

This discussion is about