Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "simplehuman 45 Liter/11.9 Gallon Stainless Steel B..." and save 30% off the $159.99 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
simplehuman 45 Liter/11.9 Gallon Stainless Steel Butterfly Lid Kitchen Step Trash Can, Brushed Stainless Steel
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 10-YEAR WARRANTY - We use the best materials and solid engineering so our products will last in tough environments like your home — for years.
- ENHANCE YOUR TRASH EXPERIENCE – Extra-strong and durable Code K custom fit liners fit this can perfectly for a cleaner trash experience.
- INNOVATIVE BUTTERFLY LID - Innovative split doors open from the center for maximum clearance under low countertops.
- STRONG WIDE STEEL PEDAL - Engineered to last 150,000 steps - that's more than 20 steps a day for 20 years.
- SILENT CLOSE LID - Patented lid shox technology controls the motion of the lid for a slow, silent, quiet close – no banging or loud noises.
- INTERNAL HINGE – Allows you to place this can right up against the wall without scratching.
- STAY-OPEN LID - The lid stays open for as long as you like — perfect for longer chores.
Special offers and product promotions
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
From the manufacturer
Innovative Butterfly Lid Stainless Steel Trash Can
The simplehuman 45 liter/ 11.9 gallon butterfly step on garbage can has an innovative butterfly lid that opens from the center for maximum clearance under low countertops. It also has a slim, space-efficient shape that makes the most of tight spaces. It is perfect for an office, your kitchen or anywhere you need to throw away rubbish in your home.Enhance The Style in Your Home
Match your home decor with the brushed stainless steel finish that is fingerprint-resistant and easy to clean.I'm the Strong and Silent Type
The strong wide steel pedal means the waste can is hands-free and is designed to last 150,000 steps — that's more than 20 steps a day for 20 years, and simplehuman's patented lid shox technology ensures that the lid closes softly in a smooth, quiet manner.Custom Fit Trash Can Liners
simplehuman Code K trash can liners are a perfect fit for this trash can. They are made from extra-durable plastic with thick double seams to prevent rips and tears and have been rated among the top in strength comparable to other major brands. Extra strong to keep garbage in the bag — not on the floor or the bottom of your trash can.
We design tools that help people become more efficient at home.
Day to day life has room for improvement. That's the basic thinking behind simplehuman. Many activities in our daily routine are so basic that we take them for granted. Washing our hands, cleaning up after a meal, grooming and prepping our appearance. Through innovation and new technologies, we find ways to streamline these simple tasks. We call our products tools for efficient living.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
You can't justify the price of this trash can to your friends or family. Do not try. If you can help it, don't tell anyone the price of this thing.
We've owned this for about six months. Replaced a traditional stainless steel round unit with step-to-open hinged cover.
Why is this so much better than the normal trash bins?
- Design allows for being placed right next to cabinets without banging them
- Doors can be easily locked open
- Plastic liner inside the metal bin is easy to lift out
- Garbage bag itself is easy to lift out, no vacuum to fight
- Standard trash liners work well
- Step unit works smooth, feels like it will last
- Slow close butterfly doors look cool
- Stainless steel finish matches most of the stainless steel appliances
- Easy to clean
- No rust spots yet (6 months)
- Size, it's a bit larger than expected, but for good reasons
- Butterfly doors don't seal and let odors escape
- Doesn't make taking out the trash any more enjoyable, but less of a hassle
- Probably writing this review to justify the price
There were two main reasons I bought this:
1) I wanted a nice "forever" trash can that I would be happy with for the long run, no matter the kitchen or house design.
2) I refuse to buy a trash can that only fits properly with proprietary bags.
This hits both points, and in fact, I think the Kirkland Signature Drawstring Kitchen Trash Bags - 13 Gallon - 200 Count fit even better (more snug) than simplehuman's own bags. I had reservations due to the price, but to be honest, $160 is a bargain if I really never have to replace this or buy a simplehuman garbage bag. If I had to nit-pick, the pedal has a little more friction than I would prefer and the can is not totally fingerprint-proof (see my video).
Check out my video for a demonstration of Kirkland Sig's bags!
I will update if I change my mind.
I have a young cat who was formerly a street cat and thus being a street cat, she has no qualms about eating things from the trashcan. If any of you have been in this position you can see where this is going.
Well my first attempt at thwarting my cat from getting in the can was in the form of a hefty trashcan with a locking lid. I thought to myself “Oh a locking lid this will be great. This will keep that little bugger out.” Boy was I wrong. The lock was a great idea; however, it didn’t latch strong enough to keep my cat from just pushing the lid open anyways.
My next attempt I thought was a good idea. If the lock won’t keep her out ill put a brick on top of the can. There is no way she will have the strength to push it open then. Well my cat figured out she didn’t need to push it open since it was now top heavy enough for her to just push it over.
I’m guessing by now you can see where my third attempt at escalation lead me. You are right, I put bricks in the bottom of the can as well. Now I thought there is no way she will get to my trash now. Well I was right. Sort of. The problem was our garbage can still left some of the bag exposed. So my cat being the tenacious critter she is would attempt to get to the trash by pulling and scratching and clawing out as much of the bag as she can.
So, I had to resort to tucking in the bag constantly as well. This was an ongoing battle. If I even left the slightest bit of bag exposed she would tear it to shreds.
After years of this battle I finally discovered this can. This can is heavy enough that she can’t knock it over. The list doesn’t give her any purchase to be able to pry it open and the bag is concealed inside. It’s only been a week so far, but I am cautiously optimistic. Not all heroes wear capes. Some are coated in stainless steel.
If my cat does ever figure out how to get into this can I will be sure to update this review. Until then I am happy with my butterfly knight.