Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$12.00+ Free shipping with Amazon Prime
Your rating(Clear)Rate this item


There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.

Showing 1-10 of 477 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 620 reviews
on July 17, 2016
If there were more stars, I would give this book more. Garcia Marquez's writing is just exquisite -- just study the opening paragraphs of this book.
He captures the atmosphere of this Caribbean part of Colombia masterfully using his magic realism style. It did help that I have a wonderful Spanish teacher who explained the connections and allusions to me. A visit to the region only intensified my love for this novel. I have a hard time though deciding whether I like Cien Años better or Love in the Times of Cholera. they are my two favorite books and I have read both several times in Spanish and English. It's even better in Spanish.
0Comment| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2016
I was wondering how would have been to read this book in the original language. It has been tough but indeed worth it to read.

Marquez crate a chain of events that make the reader willing to read a little more so that you don't feel the pages flow under your fingers but it makes you feel the story like we were watching a movie printed on pages.

Even without knowing all of the immense numbers of adjectives (Spanish is not my first language) which enrich every single pages, Marquez style of writing makes you understand anyway the profound essence of his sentences.

The author dedicate profound description even to the characters that don't play a main role, making them part of the whole picture, without whom it would not look so great.

Pages are pregnant of symbolisms and hidden meanings. Colors, characters, animals, objects are there for a reason, not just as embellishment.

This is a remarkable master piece, as few in the modern literature. Make your self a favor and read it.
0Comment| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2016
Está escrito en un lenguaje muy llano y, aunque se pueden ver algunas conexiones con trabajos previos de ficción de otros autores hispanoamericanos, tiene muchos elementos originales (al menos en su énfasis), que han llevado esta novela a representar el "realismo mágico" por excelencia.
El nacimiento, apogeo y muerte de Macondo se puede interpretar como una metáfora de la vida humana.
0Comment| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 20, 2015
DO NOT PURCHASE THIS EDITION. Every page is FULL of grammatical errors, it's impossible to read.There is no publisher name ANYWHERE in this edition other than it was printed in Kentucky. This is very likely an illegal edition printed without permission from the author. Not to mention it is not book size, it's printed on huge paper so it's extremely inconvenient as well.
review image
22 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2017
Un libro sumamente entretenido, fácil de leer y de involucrarse en la historia, no es fácil seguir a tantos personajes con nombres similares, pero quizá eso sea parte del encanto de la narrativa que nos obliga a prestar más atención, un final inesperado que envuelve a tantas historias paralelas en una verdadera representación del realismo mágico.
0Comment| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2012
PLEASE NOTE I'M REVIEWING THE KINDLE FORMAT OF THE BOOK, NOT THE BOOK ITSELF.

I'm currently at 68% through the book, and though I love the story, the Kindle format falls really short. The main issue is that the index has just the following entries:

Cubierta (Cover)
Cien años de soledad (the book's contents)
Biografía (Biography)
Créditos (Credits)

This means that the whole book itself is one single entry, plus there's no title to indicate the start of chapter, just a big blank space between chapters. This is really annoying, specially if you forward the book by mistake, unless you remember the location where you were, you basically have to turn pages until you get there. Definitely a lot of room for improvement in this area.

--------------------------------

POR FAVOR NOTE QUE MI CRÍTICA ES SOBRE EL FORMATO KINDLE DEL LIBRO, NO EL LIBRO EN SÍ.

Actualmente estoy en el 68% del libro, y aunque me encanta la historia, el formato Kindle de verdad se queda corto. El inconveniente principal es que el índice solo tiene las siguientes entradas:

Cubierta
Cien años de soledad
Biografía
Créditos

Esto quiere decir que todo el libro en sí es una sola entrada, además que no existe un título que defina el inicio de un capítulo, únicamente un espacio en blanco grande entre capítulos. Esto es sumamente molesto, especialmente si por error se avanza en el libro, a menos que se recuerde el número de posición donde se estaba, básicamente se tiene que pasar páginas hasta llegar ahí. En este sentido definitivamente hay mucho qué mejorar.
0Comment| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2016
Maravillosa. No soy experta en literatura. Solo se que me gusta leer y lo que me gusta me gusta. Una obra muy poética, sobre una familia única. No me imagino entrando a esa casa tan sucia y desordenada, pero creo entender la metáfora.
0Comment| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2017
The book I received was not the version I wanted. I don't think they should show a picture of a book cover is that is not the one they will send. I was better off buying one within the States. Book was small...font is hard to read
review image review image
0Comment| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2017
I waited for a long time to read this book that many people had recommended to me and I have to say my expectations were high. Enough to say that this book is not "my cup of tea".
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2017
La manera en que la trama te va atrapando y sorprendiendo continuamente es admirable, conforme vas leyendo alternas las carcajadas, con lágrimas y tristeza, sin duda uno de los mejores libros que he leído nunca
0Comment| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse