Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 478 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 621 reviews
on July 17, 2016
If there were more stars, I would give this book more. Garcia Marquez's writing is just exquisite -- just study the opening paragraphs of this book.
He captures the atmosphere of this Caribbean part of Colombia masterfully using his magic realism style. It did help that I have a wonderful Spanish teacher who explained the connections and allusions to me. A visit to the region only intensified my love for this novel. I have a hard time though deciding whether I like Cien Años better or Love in the Times of Cholera. they are my two favorite books and I have read both several times in Spanish and English. It's even better in Spanish.
on September 17, 2016
I was wondering how would have been to read this book in the original language. It has been tough but indeed worth it to read.

Marquez crate a chain of events that make the reader willing to read a little more so that you don't feel the pages flow under your fingers but it makes you feel the story like we were watching a movie printed on pages.

Even without knowing all of the immense numbers of adjectives (Spanish is not my first language) which enrich every single pages, Marquez style of writing makes you understand anyway the profound essence of his sentences.

The author dedicate profound description even to the characters that don't play a main role, making them part of the whole picture, without whom it would not look so great.

Pages are pregnant of symbolisms and hidden meanings. Colors, characters, animals, objects are there for a reason, not just as embellishment.

This is a remarkable master piece, as few in the modern literature. Make your self a favor and read it.
on September 20, 2015
DO NOT PURCHASE THIS EDITION. Every page is FULL of grammatical errors, it's impossible to read.There is no publisher name ANYWHERE in this edition other than it was printed in Kentucky. This is very likely an illegal edition printed without permission from the author. Not to mention it is not book size, it's printed on huge paper so it's extremely inconvenient as well.
review image
on December 21, 2012
PLEASE NOTE I'M REVIEWING THE KINDLE FORMAT OF THE BOOK, NOT THE BOOK ITSELF.

I'm currently at 68% through the book, and though I love the story, the Kindle format falls really short. The main issue is that the index has just the following entries:

Cubierta (Cover)
Cien años de soledad (the book's contents)
Biografía (Biography)
Créditos (Credits)

This means that the whole book itself is one single entry, plus there's no title to indicate the start of chapter, just a big blank space between chapters. This is really annoying, specially if you forward the book by mistake, unless you remember the location where you were, you basically have to turn pages until you get there. Definitely a lot of room for improvement in this area.

--------------------------------

POR FAVOR NOTE QUE MI CRÍTICA ES SOBRE EL FORMATO KINDLE DEL LIBRO, NO EL LIBRO EN SÍ.

Actualmente estoy en el 68% del libro, y aunque me encanta la historia, el formato Kindle de verdad se queda corto. El inconveniente principal es que el índice solo tiene las siguientes entradas:

Cubierta
Cien años de soledad
Biografía
Créditos

Esto quiere decir que todo el libro en sí es una sola entrada, además que no existe un título que defina el inicio de un capítulo, únicamente un espacio en blanco grande entre capítulos. Esto es sumamente molesto, especialmente si por error se avanza en el libro, a menos que se recuerde el número de posición donde se estaba, básicamente se tiene que pasar páginas hasta llegar ahí. En este sentido definitivamente hay mucho qué mejorar.
on December 7, 2016
Maravillosa. No soy experta en literatura. Solo se que me gusta leer y lo que me gusta me gusta. Una obra muy poética, sobre una familia única. No me imagino entrando a esa casa tan sucia y desordenada, pero creo entender la metáfora.
on March 16, 2017
The book I received was not the version I wanted. I don't think they should show a picture of a book cover is that is not the one they will send. I was better off buying one within the States. Book was small...font is hard to read
review image review image
on May 22, 2017
I waited for a long time to read this book that many people had recommended to me and I have to say my expectations were high. Enough to say that this book is not "my cup of tea".
on January 3, 2017
La manera en que la trama te va atrapando y sorprendiendo continuamente es admirable, conforme vas leyendo alternas las carcajadas, con lágrimas y tristeza, sin duda uno de los mejores libros que he leído nunca
on December 30, 2014
The book is undoubtedly a classic and a masterpiece, it's just not my cup of tea. I don't like it when reality and fiction are mixed to that extent. The use of the Spanish language is superb, I had to look up so many words in the dictionary and Spanish is my first language. Having said all that I'm glad I read it.
on February 17, 2016
Sin duda la mejor novela latinoamericana que existe. No es para cualquier lector. Requiere conocimientos acerca de la cultura sudamericana y su política. Siete generaciones de la familia Buendía con sus pasiones, aficiones y deseos y de como se formó el pueblo de Macondo y como decayó. Tiene varios giros de trama excelentes y es completamente impredecible. Cada cierta cantidad de páginas cambia de protagonistas por lo que en ese sentido es algo coral. La recomiendo a mil.

Él libro vino en perfectas condiciones.