Top positive review
38 people found this helpful
An excellent clock--here's a few thoughts on prior reviews
on December 20, 2012
Update: April, 2016. This clock has now been in service for 3+ years and has performed without problems. I may have to replace the batteries annually, it's so seldom I don't remember. Still a great clock.
Since there have been so many prior reviews I thought I would address some of the thoughts and concerns that may, in my mind, be cleared up by my initial impressions:
1. THE ALARM IS TOO LOUD It starts off quietly, like bells ringing, and the sounds gradually merge together and the alarm ramps up in volume.
2. THE ALARM ISN'T LOUD ENOUGH by the time this is at full volume you'd have to be in a coma not to wake up.
3. IT CANNOT BE SEEN IN THE DARK Once my eyes adjusted to the dark I was able to see the face and the time quite well. This may be because it is on the headboard and close to my face. At a few feet away it may be less distinct.
4. IT IS FLIMSY CHEAP PLASTIC It is plastic but I did not find it flimsy. With three batteries it is fairly heavy so a drop on a hard floor might conk it out. It should be able to withstand a fall on a carpeted floor however.
Were this alarm in a metal case it would weigh a lot and cost accordingly.
5. IT'S MADE IN CHINA I'm no fan of Chinese products, but since they're here to stay we might as well distinguish between the crummy ones and the better designed and manufactured ones. This clock is tight and well put together, I'm sure it was designed somewhere other than China, as long as the specs are followed what's the difference?
6. IT'S NOT SUITABLE FOR TRAVEL I can't see that it claims to be a travel alarm. I find it easier to use a smart phone or iPad alarm anyway.
I' m sure there's a lot more good/bad comments about the same features. This is just my initial take on what I think is a fine clock.
Update after two months. This clock keeps excellent time almost as good as my Atomic radio controlled clocks. The tiny LED's flash upward on the face upward, not outward which would illuminate the nearby area. The color change on the LED's are really helpful to let you know when the alarm is/isn't set. And as others have mentioned, the sweep second puts the finishing touch on this elegant product.