Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM
Customer Discussions > Farscape: The Complete Series forum

subtitles vs closed-captioned

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 6, 2009 10:14:04 AM PST
Pandora says:
Can someone tell me the difference between CC and subtitles?

The description says Closed-captioned. Thanks

Posted on Dec 6, 2009 11:18:53 AM PST
Subtitles are included in the particular movie you are watching.
Closed captioning would be done by your television. A lot of dvd's that don't have subtitles, still have closed captioning.
I think CC is pretty much embedded into everything sold nowadays. All you have to do to take advantage of it, is to set the tv to closed captioned.

Posted on Dec 6, 2009 8:44:13 PM PST
V. Lewis says:
The terms closed-captioning and subtitles are often used interchangeably. From Wikipedia,
"The term "closed" in closed captioning indicates that not all viewers see the captions-only those who choose to decode or activate them. This distinguishes from "open captions" (sometimes called "burned-in" or "hardcoded" captions), which are visible to all viewers.

Most of the world does not distinguish captions from subtitles. In the United States and Canada, these terms do have different meanings, however: "subtitles" assume the viewer can hear but cannot understand the language or accent, or the speech is not entirely clear, so they only transcribe dialogue and some on-screen text. "Captions" aim to describe to the hearing-impaired all significant audio content-spoken dialogue and non-speech information such as the identity of speakers and, occasionally, their manner of speaking-along with music or sound effects using words or symbols.

The United Kingdom, Ireland, and most other countries do not distinguish between subtitles and closed captions, and use "subtitles" as the general term-the equivalent of "captioning" is usually referred to as "Subtitles for the hard of hearing". "

While closed-caption decoding is often done in the TV, some TVs will not decode captions over all inputs. My Sharp Aquos will not access the caption menu over an HDMI input but it will over the coax or an RCA input.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2010 9:41:24 PM PST
Subtitles will work on both dvd players and computera
Captions, I get on computers but not the portable dvd players
It seems more systems can do subtitles or sdh but not closed captioning
weird
for example Doc first season did not work on the dvd player but did on the computer

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2010 9:47:45 PM PST
I brought a tv at Target ...a phillip brand and it did not have cc although all tv after the early 90s suppossed to be cc Target return with no hassles..I call Phillip on it and they responded negativity.
alot of companies who put out dvds do not do either subtiltes or captions such as Accorn for Honey West series or Arts and Entainment on the Agatha Christie series explain that to me

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2010 9:49:09 PM PST
Subtitles will work on both dvd players and computera
Captions, I get on computers but not the portable dvd players
It seems more systems can do subtitles or sdh but not closed captioning
weird
for example Doc first season did not work on the dvd player but did on the computer

Posted on Feb 4, 2010 4:01:21 PM PST
Júnior says:
has subtitles in Portuguese?

Posted on Feb 12, 2010 5:10:29 AM PST
E. Bühler says:
My English isn't very well, so I need subtitles to understand English Film's. Maybe anyone knows if WinDVD9 Plus have a decoder for Closed-captioned?
I couldn't found any informations about that. Or Maybe other Programms, that I can see Farscape on my PC?

Thanks

Posted on Feb 12, 2010 5:57:58 PM PST
M Lewis says:
I don't know about WinDVD9 (although it probably does) but I know for sure that Windows Media Player does have a closed captioning decoder. This should already be installed on your computer.

Posted on Apr 11, 2010 3:06:37 AM PDT
You can play close caption on your computer using Quick Time player. Go to Edit-preferences-player preferences and you will find it.

Posted on Nov 11, 2010 8:57:01 AM PST
The Farscape series has no subtitles in any language. They only have closed-captions, and closed-captions are a TV-capability, so if your TV does not have the CC button you cannot choose this option to watch the dialogues. And a warning. Closed-captions generally are for hard-hearing persons and they have not all the dialogue, more commonly they have a abbreviated form of the dialogue, unlike the subtitles that tries to transpose as much of the dialogue as possible. Because of this, it is possible that a closed-captioned DVD will not show these closed-captions in a DVD player of the computer, because it requires a TV with this capability. When buying a TV ALWAYS check this item of the menu. The difference in costs of the TV with closed-captions reading capability is negligible but the bonus of always being able to buy these DVDs that have only closed-captions will be very rewarding for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2011 2:04:10 PM PDT
GreenJim says:
The Farscape complete series does not have closed captions, even though the A&E web site claims that they do and the box has the CC logo. All of my DVD devices are closed caption enabled and report that closed captions are not available on the Farscape discs.

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 2:42:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 11, 2011 2:46:21 PM PDT
M Lewis says:
It sounds like your DVD devices are calling subtitles closed captioning. They are not the same. Windows Media Player and VLC should both support closed captions. I own the complete series and have used the closed captions through Windows Media Player.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2011 4:07:08 PM PDT
GreenJim says:
M. Lewis, I understand the difference. You must have a version manufactured after mine (late 2009). The box I have, packaged by A&E NewVideo, however, is clearly labeled CC.
My firmware and codecs are all up-to-date and easily recognize subtitles/CC on all of my other media, but not the Farscape discs. DVDs intended for home use should be able to be viewed via any consumer DVD player.
A&E NewVideo has been non-responsive to my inquiries.

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 4:32:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 11, 2011 4:46:25 PM PDT
M Lewis says:
I have the same version. I just looked at it again to confirm it.

Subtitles and CC are NOT the same. They are two separate options as mentioned in the rest of this thread. Most home DVD or BluRay machines only decode and view subtitles. CC is usually an option on the TV.

The CC does not show up in any standalone DVD or Bluray players that I own or have seen. They DO however work in PC based software like Windows Media Player, VLC, or Quicktime.

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 6:20:46 PM PDT
GreenJim says:
M. Lewis, Thank you for your patience. As I said before, I DO know the difference. For all >practical< purposes, except in this peculiar case, subtitles and CC are essentially equivalent. Some of my DVDs have BOTH English subtitle and CC options and display them equally well. My standalone Samsung and Sony DVD players recognize closed captions. When I got the players years ago, I simply went into the devices' setups and enabled CC.

On the DVDs with both options available, when "closed caption" is chosen, often descriptions like "sound of wind through trees" or "eerie music" or "door closing" are displayed. When "subtitle" is chosen, just dialogue is shown.

All the DVDs I have bought or rented with a CC logo worked in my standalone DVD players. The Farscape discs are the first and ONLY ones that do not. That is the central point of my complaint.

Why would A&E use a CC system only viewable on a PC? Who would prefer to squint at a computer screen rather than watch a show on a 50" flat screen? What's next, texting only available on TDDs?

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 6:27:32 PM PDT
M Lewis says:
It is likely they just left the CC coding in the same as it was first aired without bothering to mess with it. That could explain why it doesn't work sometimes. They seem to not care or one would think they would have added subtitles instead that the vast majority could use.

Personally, I use a media center PC on my HDTV for Hulu, Netflix, etc. No squinting necessary.

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 1:03:47 PM PST
I have the very same problem. I'm using a Phillips Blu-Ray Player connected to a 40 inch Phillips HDTV with a HDMI cable. When I play the Farscape DVD (Box Set) labeled as Closed-Captioned: I don't even get a subtitle-option screen. There are CC settings on the TV and the Blu-Ray player; both are turned-on and set for CC-1. I can't get captioning, and the Farscape DVDs are only in Fullscreen. Widescreen isn't even an option. Can anyone tell me how to get the Closed-Caption screen to work?

Posted on May 20, 2014 11:47:31 AM PDT
I've gotten so tired of bringing home DVDs that have a bi label CC and put it in my Samsung blu. Ray and not have it. Sub titles play fine don't understand difference.

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 5:16:34 AM PDT
Hello ok im live from United Kingdom im have little many USA dvds is Beetleborgs, shin chan and dolly dearest all are closed captions im not happy that really not fair how poor me & people is deaf all don't understand what on screen people said?? Hmm im don't know what that said and im hate closed captions as well and im have many USA dvds all have subtitles be fine like anime, asian and film that ok and im have dvd player names is denver im will try setting up have closed captions on is NOT worked as well I'm don't know which one real dvd player have closed captions or not ok
From
Tom

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2015 9:41:54 AM PDT
WOW! Tom, really? English is your first language? Try again, once more?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Dec 6, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 5, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Farscape: The Complete Series
Farscape: The Complete Series by Ben Browder (DVD - 2009)
4.7 out of 5 stars (856)