Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

How is it that kindle version is just 85 cents less than hardcover?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2010, 6:35:10 PM PST
Wally Gee says:
Please, just stop offering Kindle versions if they're going to be priced so close to hardcover. What's the point?

Posted on Nov 16, 2010, 8:49:38 PM PST
ok,ok,ok says:
I could not agree more. There is a note that "this price was set by the publisher". I simply will not buy this book, at least not at this price. I am interested in the content, but not that interested. If the publisher expects me to pay the same price for digital content that is being charged for something that must be printed, transported and sold at retail ... then they are just not being reasonable. And they will sell fewer books because of it.

Posted on Nov 16, 2010, 9:31:08 PM PST
C. Burns says:
No way I'm paying this price for the ebook. It's too expensive. Publishers and Kindle take note!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2010, 9:44:00 PM PST
D. Chriest says:
As a long-time Kindle owner, this really ticks me off. I may as well buy the Hardcover version. 16 bucks for a digital copy? I think not.

Posted on Nov 16, 2010, 10:31:53 PM PST
To the authors:

I just saw the interview you did on The Daily Show and was intending to buy this for my kindle. While I can afford it, the sheer greed of charging 17 dollars for a digital edition that literally costs the publisher nothing to distribute has ensured that I will not buy this.

I hope you discuss this with your publishers. While they may think 16.99 > 9.99, 9.99 >> 0. Which is how much I will be spending now.

Posted on Nov 17, 2010, 9:52:11 AM PST
R. Sachs says:
Give it a couple of weeks - it'll come down. I bought a new release a couple of weeks ago for $15.99 or $16.99 because I really DID want it right NOW. Now its down to $12.99. In a month, it'll be $9.99. When I'm not in a real hurry for a book, like with this one, I just download the sample and then click buy once the price drops. They charge these prices at first because there are some folks who are in a hurry for a book and will pay it. I've been one of those people on a couple of occasions and it was worth it to me. Its what the market will bear. If you have the time to be patient, be patient...

Posted on Nov 17, 2010, 9:56:16 AM PST
ace009 says:
I also saw the interview on the Daily Show and went to Amazon to buy the ebook. I buy and read ALL my books on the Kindle. But looking at the price, all I can say is - "Hell NO" I am not paying $16.99 for a ebook that sells for $17 hardcover. As a result I will not buy this book, but will wait to get it from the library. I know about 5-6 friends of mine who will feel the exact same way. Your loss, greedy publishers.

Posted on Nov 17, 2010, 10:46:07 AM PST
J. Kotas says:
Also saw their interview on the Daily Show last night and was sufficiently intrigued to come to Amazon to purchase it for my Kindle. $16.99 !?! Sorry, no. I'll wait for my library to get a copy and READ IT FOR FREE.

Am I the only one who sees the irony/hypocrisy of an overpriced book that points fingers at greedy Wall Street pigs?

Posted on Nov 17, 2010, 12:17:35 PM PST
Vinod Sankar says:
No way should they price the Kindle edition this high.

Posted on Nov 17, 2010, 4:42:27 PM PST
A customer says:
Agreed. I wanted to get this book, but there is no way I am paying $16.99 for a Kindle book.

Posted on Nov 17, 2010, 9:15:45 PM PST
Tami says:
Also not buying this overpriced Kindle edition, but I will when the price comes down. Unbelievable.

Posted on Nov 17, 2010, 10:46:58 PM PST
I also saw the authors on The Daily Show and again tonight on Charlie Rose. I came to Amazon fully prepared to download it onto my Kindle. $16.99??? You gotta be kidding.

George Stephan

Posted on Nov 17, 2010, 11:11:06 PM PST
+1 for seeing Daily Show interview and now not buying because of the price. Will also remember Penguin and avoid that publishing house if at all possible.

Posted on Nov 18, 2010, 7:23:54 AM PST
Hartvig Lein says:
Ya know, for a bunch of people looking to buy a book on finance some of you really don't understand elementary economics. The authors and publisher are riding a huge wave of free publicity from the appearance on The Daily Show and are cashing in on it while they can. In a couple of weeks, once that notoriety has waned, the price of the Kindle version of the book will come down.

Posted on Nov 18, 2010, 11:40:17 AM PST
I jumped right to Amazon to buy the book after I heard McLean on Bloomberg, but when I saw Kindle price, forget it. I like to read more with the Kindle, but discount prcing is why. No discount, no purchase.

Posted on Nov 18, 2010, 1:54:22 PM PST
Mao says:
Maybe Amazon could add a link to these books so that we may easily complain directly to the publishers. I realize we could go to their web pages to do the same, but maybe a place right here where we could all complain as we decide not to purchase either version -- that is then forwarded to the publisher -- would be nice.

Posted on Nov 18, 2010, 4:35:28 PM PST
R Meissner says:
In fact, the Kindle version is now MORE expensive than the hardback version! I guess a lot of people - myself included - saw Jon Stewart recently.

Posted on Nov 18, 2010, 5:23:16 PM PST
Pendragon says:
I will not buy at this ripoff price. Pendragon

Posted on Nov 18, 2010, 5:45:26 PM PST
Gregory Mays says:
We Kindle owners can stop this. Hold firm and vote with your feet. I think iPad reopened the door to publisher abuse. But...everyone agrees that voracious readers have Kindles. Nothing over $9.99. Period!!!

Posted on Nov 18, 2010, 7:32:26 PM PST
R. Rivera says:
After being shocked out of my senses by the outrageous price of the Kindle version, I realized how closely the publisher's actions mirrors the abusive practices of those responsible for the financial collapse orchestrated in large part by the financial institutions. Amazon should not stand idly. The owner's of Kindle should be entitled to rely on more stable and reasonable prices. The over-price for Kindle version closely mirrors the abusive practices talked about with Jon Stewart, regarding "All the Devils are Here". The publisher must surely be one of those "Devils"! Amazon, Please do not become one!

Posted on Nov 19, 2010, 11:40:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2010, 3:46:07 PM PST
A. Putnam says:
Another Daily Show viewer here who became interested and then lost interest after seeing the price. I don't have a problem with the hard cover price but I would like to purchase the kindle version. The thing is ebooks have less value to me than a hard copy. I have to deal with DRM when buying a kindle book and my girlfriend often goes through my previously read books and reads them. A pain to do if possible with an ebook. Why not buy the hard cover? Too many books already, which I enjoy loaning out. I bought a Kindle to save space. I bet publishers would love it if we all had to buy books in ebook format that way we could not easily share with friends and family.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2010, 8:17:23 PM PST
C. C. Hunt says:
I agree and will NOT purchase this book hard copy or ecopy,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2010, 9:21:20 AM PST
Not so fast my friend. I understand economics just fine, and recognize price gouging when I see it. I also understand the animal spirits of the market place and how ill will can impact buying decisions for a long time. Besides the purchase of any given book is not going to be a lingering top of the brain motivation for most folks, especially when the books rating is being hurt by the ill will of price sensitive buyers. Do you think price gouger's generate good will or ill will?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2010, 9:33:46 AM PST
This is an excellent point, although for reasons which are not expressed. Kindle readers have some sense of the cost structure of ebooks. They are digitally delivered without the need for printing, binding, shipping, storage, and brick and mortar costs of sale. The Kindle does provide convenience as a distribution channel for the reader, but let us not forget the initial investment in the Kindle itself. Why pay a couple of hundred dollars for a device to buy digital books at a reduced price when the books that interest you are priced the same as a hard copy. Until Kindle buyers get a sense that they have recouped their original equipment investment they are going to naturally be price sensitive to ebooks which are inherently cheaper to distribute in the first place. I am really amazed at the risks that these hypothetically sophisticated marketers are taking on this issue.

Posted on Nov 20, 2010, 5:32:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2010, 5:57:07 PM PST
Palos Billy says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  29
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

This discussion is about