Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Is there a full screen version of Avatar DVD?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 16, 2010 2:49:38 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 4, 2010 2:14:54 AM PDT]

Posted on May 16, 2010 6:17:13 AM PDT
Just Sayin' says:
There is no full screen version ~ only widescreen ...

Posted on May 16, 2010 1:55:32 PM PDT
G. Shahzada says:
LOL ...You really do not want to get the Full Screen Version also called Pan & Scan you will loose half of the frame. Even with 16x9 format you are losing some part of the original 2.35 frame.

Posted on May 16, 2010 7:33:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2010 7:41:18 PM PDT
@GS,
Avatar was shot in 1.78:1, theaters matted the screen to 2.35:1.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/05/30/cameron-says-avatar-wont-be-shown-the-same-size-everywhere/

Posted on May 16, 2010 9:39:06 PM PDT
Oh good grief a full screen version of avatar would make me throw up in my mouth a little. Serioulsy that would be a travesty and thankfully full screen is essentially dead.

Posted on May 17, 2010 1:24:38 AM PDT
North Woods says:
Thanks for your replies. I am getting this dvd for my sister, who only has a small TV, and she would have preferred a full screen version.

Posted on May 23, 2010 5:52:43 AM PDT
M. Copeland says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2010 3:33:10 AM PDT
North Woods says:
I think is a great idea to have wide screen and full screen on the same dvd. It would nice for people like my sister with her small TV.

Posted on May 25, 2010 6:46:03 PM PDT
A. Salazar says:
Use the zoom feature on your TV like I do!! Some players also have this feature as well. (My TV is like 4 yrs. old)

Posted on May 30, 2010 6:33:19 AM PDT
Maucherz says:
Aw for some reason I thought this thread was cute.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2010 9:03:42 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2010 11:59:15 AM PDT
M. Copeland says:

Posted on May 30, 2010 12:02:22 PM PDT
M. Copeland says:

Posted on May 31, 2010 2:57:39 AM PDT
North Woods says:
I bought the Avatar DVD for my sister, who is disabled and cannot afford a better TV. She enjoyed it even though it was not full screen. I appreciate getting the information that there wasn't a full screen version because I would still be looking for it. Thanks.

Posted on Jun 3, 2010 4:08:54 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 3, 2010 4:09:56 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 5, 2010 4:41:27 AM PDT
M. Copeland says:
My tv is 16:9 widescreen,,,, why can't they make the movies fit that size,,,,also I am buying the dvd so can I please get what I want,,, besides the movie makers want to make as much money as they can,,,so give the people what they want, choice,,,, Strange,,, I rented the movie Avatar from redbox and watched it last night and it was in full screen,,, or at least 16:9,,, It looked great, I was very happy with the picture, Great movie!!! maybe I can buy this copy from redbook. sorry I like to use so many ,,,,,,,s

Posted on Jun 5, 2010 8:44:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2010 8:46:24 AM PDT
Its because movies have different aspect ratios just like the different dimensions on high def tv's. The problem with fullscreen is it literally chops off 20% of the screen image on both sides of the frame. You only see approximately 60% of what you saw in the theater. I dont know why anyone would want this and spend money on this option.

OOHH and M copeland you are incorrect in stating that you got a fullscreen copy of avatar as they didnt make it in fullscreen. What you probably did was alter your aspect ratio on that fancy new tv you have and didnt realize it.

Posted on Jun 25, 2010 2:09:13 AM PDT
Adjust your DVD player setup to "16:9 Wide" aspect. That will stretch the image to fit the screen and eliminate the black bars.

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 1:00:45 AM PST
G. Himes says:
Seriously?!?

It's been decades since this first came up, and people still don't get it. Fullscreen on all but a tiny selection of movies, destroys the director's vision, it removes minor to major amounts of the image, and the constant back-and-forth of P&S is sickening. It makes me wonder why some idiots don't walk out of movie theatres, because the curtains (or black-cloth) have to be lowered for a 2.35 ratio movie... ooh, look, black bars! In this digital age with discs, there should never be fullscreen editions... If you want that, use zoom on the more modern monitors and TVs, or don't buy the disc.
When DVDs were being designed, there was supposed to be a data track that would simulate P&S fullscreen by using that data to track what part of the full image to display at 4:3 ratio. This meant fullscreen and widescreen were the exact same disc and image. Several movies were released with this, but almost no players supported it... The reason why? The idea was pretty stupid, and only had a very limited valid use.
Hopefully over the next 20 years, people will have completely forgotten about "fullscreen." The concept was stupid even in 1970 when they letterboxed some movies only so they could show the credits... As a kid, I was upset because they didn't keep it running through the whole show... It really ruined a lot of panoramic westerns for me, not to say what it did for "2001" and "Lawrence of Arabia."

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 5:05:59 PM PST
Bob Drake says:
James Cameron has claimed that the extra strip on the top and bottom of the 1.78:1 (vs. 2.35:1) give greater 3D depth. There will never be a 4:3 or 2.35:1 version for that reason. He did produce 2.35:1 versions for theaters with screens of that format but did so by matting the 1.78:1 version.

If you want the Avatar 3D BD experience, and you bought a Panasonic 3D system between March and November 30th, you can claim your FREE Avatar 3D BD with the form at:

http://www.panasonic.com/promos/avatar/Avatar_181772.pdf?cm_sp=promos-_-avatar-bluray-_-DownloadLoyaltyForm

I bought a 50" Panasonic 3D plasma bundle with 3D BD player and 3D kit (with 2BD and 2 3D battery glasses), three HDMI 1.4 cables and a 150 mL screen cleaner bottle -- pretty decent price at less than USD1700. The post-12/1 glasses kit now has 2 USB rechargeable glasses and the Avatar 3D BD.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 10:45:43 AM PDT
Pat says:
You are very intolerant and rude to call anyone "DUMB". Many people like myself cannot afford a widescreen TV. I have more important things to do with the little money that I have so a big expensive TV is not a priority.

I am well aware that the black areas on the top and bottom of the widescreen picture are just empty space however it is uncomfortable to view a movie this way. And by the way, you are the one who needs to "grow up" and maybe learn to have more empathy for others.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 8:39:53 AM PDT
truthsetter says:
You do not get it THEATRICAL PRESENTATION can be WRONG it is IN-CAMERA that matters NOT in-theatre !

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2012 8:40:38 AM PDT
truthsetter says:
16:9 is now FULL SCREEN
SCOPE is the alternative

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 9:39:08 AM PDT
Bob Drake says:
Cameron shot Avatar with Sony 16:9 1080p digital cameras. He is now using RED Epic 4+K cameras. The days of 65 or 70 mm film for ultrawide-screen with its inherent resolution, is long gone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 3:24:51 AM PDT
And when you are done insulting people while showing your own stupidity, you might find out that the movie production companies could convert the movies to full screen without harming the picture. The only reason they don't it because it would cost them money, and why should they spend any of thier money to allow you to use your whole TV screen instead of just a poetion of it, when its easier to convince the sheep that it is in thier interest to buy large screen tv's and then only be able to use part of it. If you really believe that movie companies don't have the technology to allow you to use your entire screen without losing part of the picture.....ah yeah, and YOU are calling people dumb? Im guessing you use the self check out lanes convinced they were really installed for your benefit?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  May 16, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Avatar (2009) by Sam Worthington (DVD)
4.4 out of 5 stars (6,675)