Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

is this an appropriate book for a teen?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 109 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 10, 2010, 8:12:51 AM PST
KatiebugB says:
please advise as to whether or not the content of this book (on the basis of language and sex, not necessarily violence) is appropriate for a high school age student.

Posted on Feb 10, 2010, 9:08:43 AM PST
I would not advise, it is a great book, but contains graphic sexual violence.

Posted on Feb 10, 2010, 10:51:44 AM PST
too many rape scenes

Posted on Feb 11, 2010, 7:33:49 PM PST
Lauren says:
I wouldn't recommend for anyone under 16. Even then, I wouldn't recommend unless your teen is mature enough to handle the graphic and sexual scenes that occur throughout the novel. The book really is good though. I'm 18 and will definitely read the sequel

Posted on Feb 12, 2010, 6:17:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2010, 6:19:11 AM PST
A. Mentor says:
This book is not appropriate for young people.

Posted on Feb 17, 2010, 11:51:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2010, 5:51:11 PM PST
Its just me! says:
No, too many graphic sex scenes which add nothing to the story.

Posted on Feb 21, 2010, 7:45:11 PM PST
I've already been advised to avoid this book, due to the graphic and/or rape scenes, as these are things would keep me up at my night. (I'm very sensitive to the subject of rape.) However, I've been loaned a copy of the abridged audiobook from a coworker who doesn't recall too much graphic sexual violence. Can anyone corroborate this? I started listening to it before I found out about the sexual violence and this early in, I'm rather hooked. So if I can keep listening to it safely, that would be good. Thanks!

Posted on Feb 22, 2010, 2:11:46 AM PST
Discus49 says:
I think a mature 16 year old would find it an entertaining read. The character of Blomquvist is one that pushes ethics and morality in the world of journalism. Australian 16 year olds would have no problem with the series.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2010, 3:28:34 PM PST
Its just me! says:
Without giving away the story, the rape scenes are alluded to rather than detailed. There is some Bondage/SadoMasochism and sex is somewhat of a pastime with the characters. A bit too much for a teenager and I wouldn't recommend this to my mother-in-law. She would throw the book at me.

Posted on Feb 22, 2010, 3:32:26 PM PST
Its just me! says:
I disagree. I wouldn't recommend this for a teenager. Truthfully, I found the book somewhat of a tedious read but I am not a fan of Who-Dun-Its.

Posted on Feb 22, 2010, 7:19:10 PM PST
Gma says:
A lot would depend on the maturity of the teen. I am over 60 and read it and loved it and can't wait until the last one is available. It made me very aware of the open sexuality Sweden and other more open societies.
I think my granddaughters, ages 19 and 16, and quite mature and aware, have probably already read far worse than what was in this book, but would never let the 13 year old near the book.
What I am saying is there is a wide range of maturity and awareness between 13 and 19 and only someone who knows the teen can evaluate their readiness . If I had to chose, I would wait, they grow up too fast as it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2010, 9:22:41 PM PST
Its just me! says:
I agree. I am from Europe and they are much more liberal then we are when it comes to this. I believe the poster was interested in a general consensus rather than a "well it depends" answer. I am sure that many 16 year olds know more about this than I do. :)

Posted on Feb 23, 2010, 1:40:16 AM PST
G. Weiss says:
There is a graphic and disturbing rape scene of the protagonist, as well as many secenes of sex and descriptions of rapes and violent sexual assault and murder. No way I let my children read this until 16+- then I'll think about it.

Posted on Feb 26, 2010, 8:50:47 AM PST
I work with high school kids. There is too much depravity and violence, adultery, promiscuity, sadism, you name the capital sin in this book. I was very disappointed.
Nothing edifying. I think high school kids deserve to be inspired and taught better values.

Posted on Feb 26, 2010, 2:57:31 PM PST
manoni says:
I totally agree with V. Bandong. While the rape scenes are disturbing, I find it easier to talk to teens about it because the subject is very black/white. The adultery and casual sex between Bloomkvist and Berger, however, are harder for me to swallow. How can you explain, on one hand, a person who the author hailed as an honest, ethical journalist (and a loyal friend) whose mission is to expose the greediness/unethical world; yet on the other hand, see nothing wrong with engaging in a relationship w/ a married women (consent from the husband is irrelevant). He obviously knows he is doing something wrong since he feels uneasy and avoids meeting the husband as much as possible. We should not confuse open sexuality (I have no problems with single people engaging in straight/gay/bi situations) with moral values. My husband is Swedish so I do know something about Swedish society. I don't think everyone thinks the same way in Europe.

Posted on Mar 1, 2010, 5:00:42 PM PST
Marilee says:
It's easy to condemn a book with adult themes... some people find them disturbing, due to their tender sensibilities. Not all books need to be suitable for all readers. But rather than condemn a book which so many have enjoyed reading, one ought to take responsibility to chose books within their personal comfort zone, rather than cry out against them, and worse, call for banning or censorship.

But bottom line, the question was whether this book is suitable for teens [no age was mentioned]... and my answer is NO. I don't believe teens need to be coddled, but this is clearly an adult oriented literary work, for the 17 plus reader.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2010, 3:38:53 AM PST
Rolla says:
No, do not continue. There is a rather graphic rape in the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2010, 11:28:35 AM PDT
There were some graphic rape scenes in the book. This is a classic case of "if you have to ask, then you know the answer."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2010, 1:37:37 AM PDT
T. Phillips says:
I think the disturbing sex scenes most definitely do add to the story as it is a big part of the plot. The more casual but never detailed sex scenes are more there just to be there and to show the progression of the characters relationship. But then they are only a sentence merely alluding to the fact that they are indeed sleeping together and nothing more.

As to whether it is appropriate for teens... I would think it fine for most 16 year olds unless they are sensitive to references to rape, violence (torture, murder), incest and the emotional impact these events can cause. Some adults have just as hard of a time with these topics.

Posted on Mar 27, 2010, 5:41:26 AM PDT
jg says:
Why not - Is this an appropriate book for my preschooler?

Read any half dozen comments on this book, or do just a bare minimum of research and you won't have to ask such a question.
But esp don't look for answers from strangers on what your children should be reading.
Sorry, but i just don't get questions like this.

Posted on Mar 28, 2010, 12:29:10 AM PDT
My nephew's teacher in Baltimore assigned the book for her class of 12-year-olds. I was surprised. Maybe the east coast is "ahead" of some other areas? Poe lived there, after all.

Posted on Mar 28, 2010, 11:46:12 AM PDT
Henry Le Nav says:
These books are pretty rough sledding for 12 year olds! Wow!

Posted on Mar 31, 2010, 1:34:46 PM PDT
I have 12-year old twins. They are advanced readers, but if their teacher assigned them this book -- I would have a serious discussion with that teacher. This book is not appropriate for 12-year olds under any circumstances. I cannot believe a teacher assigned this book!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2010, 1:07:50 AM PDT
Me neither! I read Catcher in the Rye when I was 15, back in the dark ages.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2010, 7:44:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2010, 7:44:59 AM PDT
DB says:
Absolutely not appropriate for under 19-21... raw, graphic, horrific child sexual abuse...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  84
Total posts:  109
Initial post:  Feb 10, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

This discussion is about
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (Mass Market Paperback - June 23, 2009)
4.3 out of 5 stars (5,954)