Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > L.A. Noire - Playstation 3 forum

Are you totally sold on the upcoming release of LA Noire?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 70 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 27, 2011, 8:45:57 AM PDT
Mister C says:
I admit, I love Rockstar games. However, for some reason, I'm not totally into the idea of detective playing set in 1940s Los Angeles. I understand Team Bondi (an Aussie development team) are the ones who made the game, but this type of single player crime fighting adventure is a first for R*. I just don't want to purchase a game that I might not like. I was disappointed with GTA IV (the only R* game I dislike). Read Dead Redemption on the other hand was an amazing title. How many are looking forward to LA Noire come May 17?

Posted on Mar 27, 2011, 5:27:34 PM PDT
dorian gray says:
This is not some generic third-person shooter; this is a open-world mystery game, which is really the only legible genre you can put this game into, which can't be classified into the same group as games you mentioned. As the name suggests, it is a celebration of film noir; as I'm a huge fan of anything to do with noir, I was sold as soon as the game was announced by Sony (who were the original producers, not Rockstar, who came along after Sony had left the project). Apart from the association with noir, the other thing that interests me greatly about the game is the fact that it is a cinematic marvel in gaming terms; it incorporates a revolutionary motion-sensing technology that's probably the closest to real life or a film you've ever gone in a game, and has a stellar cast with well-known actors in it. Games like this get made only a few times in a decade.

Posted on Mar 28, 2011, 1:16:15 AM PDT
I haven't been to impressed by rockstar lately. GTA IV was a big let down, the characters and the sloppy controls. RDR was better but still over hyped in my honest opinion.
I will pick this game up, not right away though maybe after some price drops.

Posted on Mar 28, 2011, 2:13:54 AM PDT
J. says:
I generally don't care for Rockstar titles - I think they're a lot of hype and a lot of repetion. They've been reusing the same mechanics since GTA3.

I will say that L.A. Noire definitely has my interest though. It looks like a return to some of the things I loved about PC gaming (Yes, I'm aware it's not a PC title, but an apt comparison in my mind), especially titles like Tex Murphy, back in the 90's. Focus on story and interaction, investigation, etc. I'm hoping they do it better than Heavy Rain did, another game that had me thinking of those old PC titles but just didn't work for me in the end.

Posted on Mar 28, 2011, 12:47:57 PM PDT
I'm a fan of Red Dead Redemption (VGA Winner: Game of the Year) and the Grand Theft Auto series. I love film noir films and the culture of the era in general. I have every confidence in Rockstar's abilities to craft a compelling and rich gaming experience.

Yes, I'm sold. Pre-order already placed.

Posted on Mar 29, 2011, 12:39:17 PM PDT
Tron says:
I know this will sound strange.A couple of reasons I'm getting the game.One because it looks very interesting,and I too like ""film Noir".Two it reminds me of "Alan Wake".Which if there's any game developers reading this,I wish you would make an ALAN WAKE 2!

Posted on Mar 29, 2011, 2:45:25 PM PDT
I loved GTA4 but didn't like Red Dead Redemption. LA Noire is only going to be 8 square miles and the main focus of gameplay is interrogation. I'll pass.

Posted on Mar 29, 2011, 4:30:40 PM PDT
chickens says:
I am. Well, I alreaty ordered it. I don't have the smallest bit of doubt in my mind that I won't like it. I have no doubt that it will be my favorite game ever. You know those things, where you in the game just click, and go together? This is mine. I might die waiting.

Yes, I want Alan Wake 2, also!!!

Posted on Mar 30, 2011, 12:28:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2011, 12:29:16 PM PDT
CheeF says:
Does anyone know if there will be a multiplayer? Like say Cops vs. Robbers or something wild like that

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011, 12:45:20 PM PDT
Mister C says:
No. There will be no multiplayer whatsoever in LA Noire.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011, 3:46:32 PM PDT
@Psycho Zombie Cheerleader

The "main focus" of the gameplay isn't just interrogation, though it is the most trumpeted feature of the game because of the extremely realistic facial expressions the characters have. The player will also investigate crime scenes and scour for clues in addition to combat and driving gameplay. I'm looking forward to the interrogations, as it's obviously a huge part of real-life detective work and the game promises to explore than in a way no game has yet achieved.

It's also kind of amusing to read "only going to be 8 square miles", as if that's a small map. Granted, if you're directly comparing it to other games, then it definitely is one of the smaller maps around. But Mafia II, for instance, had a map of 10 square miles and there was more than enough to explore in one game. Even twenty hours in I could still get lost in that map. 8 square miles sounds about perfect and more than enough space to pack in enough content for a large, thriving city. Besides, I'd rather have a smaller, much more detailed city than a massive one where you're passing the same cluster of buildings every few moments.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011, 8:41:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2011, 8:44:11 PM PDT
Mister C says:
Thanks for your input. I see what you're saying about LA Noire being unique. Team Bondi has been talking so much about the facial scan technology and interrogation that I forgot about the exploration portion of the game, i.e., driving around 1940s L.A., searching for clues, and shooting at enemies. Also, I comprehended what you meant about the game's map. Eight square miles may seem right for this type of game. From what I read so far online, LA Noire supposedly will be around 30 hours long first play through. That's crazy long for just one run through the whole game. I'm just curious at the reception LA Noire is going to get upon release date.

Posted on Apr 2, 2011, 9:21:02 AM PDT
Admiral55 says:
I checked this game out at PAX...waited in line for two hours to see it, and it was definitely worth the wait. After seeing about a half-hour of gameplay, I am sold on this as a Day 1 purchase.

I will say this though: in the walkthrough that Rockstar presented, it didn't play very much like a sandbox game. The clues drove the plot in a more linear fashion (i.e. crime scene (matchbook) --> nightclub (interrogation) --> victim's home (note) --> suspect's home (interrogation)). That kind of thing...but it definitely didn't detract from the overall experience and made sense in the context of the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2011, 9:33:32 AM PDT
Mister C says:
After reading your post on LA Noire and your experience at PAX, I am now considering pre-ordering the game. I've read from other posts about those who were in attendance at PAX and watched Rockstar's demonstration on LA Noire how they were very impress with the game play and features. I believe it took Team Bondi eight years to develop LA Noire (counting the delays). It sounds like the game will truly be a unique experience unlike anything we've ever seen in gaming. Thanks for your reply.

Posted on Apr 2, 2011, 11:18:34 PM PDT
Ted R. says:
It's a good sized map, but it is not open world. I guess everyone expects that simply because it has Rockstar's name on the box. There is nothing wrong with linearity as long as the story is good and you have the freedom to make your own decisions. Those who want a 3rd-person, open-world shooter, look elsewhere. If this game was going to be anything like that, it would say so in the product description.
I'm definitely pre-ordering this game.

Posted on Apr 3, 2011, 9:26:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2011, 9:26:28 AM PDT
I agree, Ted. I enjoy open world games and linear games just as well - as long as the content is compelling enough to maintain my interest. It's difficult at this point to know the exact amount of freedom the player will have in L.A. Noire. IGN has an January article stating that: "While you can explore a very realistic Los Angeles, there's no sandbox here." Meanwhile, many media articles are still describing the game with the phrase "open world", including an article on Destructoid from March 25 that claims: "Will you be driving around an open world city and shooting at people in L.A. Noire? Yes, but that's not the focus."

Probably the most useful information comes from Jeronimo Barrera, a Rockstar employee, who stated: " The world is completely open for you to travel through at all times, but the focus of the game is not the same as a Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead Redemption. This time, the city is a backdrop for the incredibly accurate real-world locations and crime scenes that Cole Phelps explores on his way to solving each case. The game has been crafted to seamlessly blend classic cops-and-robbers style action with dynamic interrogations and searching for suspects in a way that one doesn't distract from the other."

Posted on Apr 5, 2011, 3:13:30 PM PDT
T. Gabrielli says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2011, 3:55:53 PM PDT
I don't know. I thought 3d was a stupid useless gimmick,.. just like motion control.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2011, 5:36:14 PM PDT
T. Gabrielli says:
Not at all. Motorstorm Rift in 3D is incredible. Definitely adds a lot to the game.

Posted on Apr 6, 2011, 9:38:18 AM PDT
Seriously? You'd pass on L.A. Noire because it isn't in 3D? I suppose it's yet another way of attracting potential customers, as there aren't a large number of 3D games yet, but I'd rather the developers focus on the gameplay mechanics rather than concentrating on something that only a small minority of gamers will actually use. I played Killzone 3 in 3D at first, but ultimately I spent the majority of the game without it. Pretty neat at first, but it got tiresome quickly.

Posted on Apr 6, 2011, 10:53:30 AM PDT
T. Gabrielli says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 6, 2011, 6:42:21 PM PDT
Actually, the developers *are* embracing the latest technology. They've simply opted to embrace the tech which will directly enhance the graphics and gameplay, including the revolutionary MotionScan technology and the very realistic appearing global illumination courtesy of Lightsprint. 3D is a neat trick, but it's one that simply slightly alters what's already there. I certainly wouldn't protest its inclusion, but I completely understand that the developers attentions are drawn elsewhere.

Granted, I'd prefer that every future title would utilize MotionScan for their own cutscenes, but I'm not going to pass on a title simply because its release date has passed an imaginary technological threshold. I value the core entertainment value over any slew of fashionable gimmicks or pretty graphics. One of my favorite games this year was the much maligned "Two Worlds II", a game far from the technological forefront with poor plotting and even worse dialog. But it was great fun, and that was all that mattered to me.

Your devotion to 3D is truly admirable, and look on the bright side, at least there's a new Motorstorm game with 3D set for release the same month. Everyone's happy!

Posted on Apr 7, 2011, 9:00:31 AM PDT
Owen says:
3d is a stupid gimmick that most people won't use. Most of the world doesn't have 3 grand to spend on a TV that's just going to give you a headache after watching it for an hour. 3D will die in a couple years and I couldn't be happier. Just glad I'm not dumb enough to pay for it, like T there.

Posted on Apr 9, 2011, 11:19:45 PM PDT
Tiny says:
As I see it...this game has no multiplayer...so no one will be ahead of the curve. I have a lot of other games I haven't even finished and I'm low on funds...so I will pass on this game for now. I will finish my other games, listen to reviews on this game as time passes, and wait for the price to drop. Its a win win for me to not pay $50 nerd tax.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2011, 7:39:54 PM PDT
I think "L.A. Noire" is going to similar to "Heavy Rain". The key reason to enjoy the game will be its presentation of story & characters. The gameplay mechanics will be solid, but nothing to convince the skeptics.

My pre-release decision:
I think like most games to be released in the current console generation, "L.A. Noire" will be worth a purchase, but not at the $60 asking price. The annual release franchises can be priced at $60 because they're safe bets, and the customer knows what they're gonna get.
"L.A. Noire", however, is a risky venture, and I think the experiment is too expensive at this point in time.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  41
Total posts:  70
Initial post:  Mar 27, 2011
Latest post:  May 10, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

This discussion is about
L.A. Noire - Playstation 3
L.A. Noire - Playstation 3 by Rockstar Games (PlayStation 3)
4.0 out of 5 stars (605)