Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Doppler $139.99 All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis dm3 Shop Now toystl17_gno_dm3

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 17, 2006, 9:01:54 AM PST
pianoman says:
Don't any of you wonder what this world is coming to when a book like this reaches the best seller list?
Come on, people. It's okay to have books like this, but do NOT consider it wonderful literature like Faulkner or Dickens. It's just cheap entertainment.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2006, 12:23:17 PM PST
A reader says:
In his time, Dickens was cheap entertainment.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2006, 12:07:03 PM PST
M. Combs says:
Sing us a song, you're the pianoman...

Seriously, how do you equate a book being on the bestseller list with it being, and I quote you here, "wonderful literature like Faulkner or Dickens"? Do you actually think that books make it on to that list for being good literature? It is a BEST SELLER LIST, not a good book list. Which means, if enough people buy it then IT MAKES THE LIST. Because most people are morons, most of the books that comprise this list are (and I quote you again) "just cheap entertainment". The NY Times list and "cheap entertainment" are often the same thing.

If you understand anything about the literary world, you will understand that you are being silly. You can't look at a book on the NY Times best seller list, and then say "how are you people comparing THOSE books to wonderful literature?" These books are bought by the same people that buy Ugg boots, drive H3 Hummers, and watch Oprah for chrissakes.

In short, get a different premise. If you don't like Tucker's book on it's own merits, sack up and say that. But don't get pissy because it's on the NY Times list, like that's a bastion of good literature.

Oh, and for the record, I think Tucker's book is important literature. It is uproariously funny, refreshingly honest, and scandalously enjoyable. Further, I think the manner in which the artist reached the mainstream is going to have reverberations throughout the mainstream media community, and people like you will see this in their rear-view mirror 10 years from now.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2006, 10:06:33 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2006, 4:29:58 AM PDT
H. Balseiro says:
I have to agree with you: a book like this on the best seller list is diminishing the wonderful works of art there, like "You might be a redneck if.." and "The South Beach Diet".. shame on all of us!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2006, 5:25:33 AM PDT
El Grande says:
We're comparing this fantasy drivel to DICKENS now? Buuuwaaaahahahahahahaha!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011, 12:39:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2011, 12:40:18 PM PDT
@ M. Combs. I agree with the first three paragraphs. The last paragraph should have a big WTF stamped across. LOL!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Mar 17, 2006
Latest post:  Sep 19, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell
I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max (Paperback - July 27, 2006)
4.0 out of 5 stars (1,256)