Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Chris Staples Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM
asked by Coconut on February 12, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 answers
A
Kitty answered on January 25, 2012
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
My favorite is Settlers of America, though I like them all. I am not a big fan of Seafarers.
Roger Tolley answered on May 10, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I like Cities and Knights the best. But I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who has played less than 20 games of regular catan. If you're still needing to look at a building cost card (at all), then you need not be playing C
J. Daniel Server answered on July 3, 2012
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hi Tony,
While I'm not an expert only playing about 25 games of catan (some 5-6 player but no expansions yet) , I'm surprised you are saying "Brick" dominates!! I would have picked Wheat as it is used by 3 of the 4 builds and then Ore because it is necessary for DCs and City upgrades and there are only 3 (4) mountains on the board. can you explain you reasoning behind brick being #1?
Ralph A. Famiglietti answered on July 30, 2011
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
brick is important because placing early roads and settlements is key to staking a territorial claim. If you fail to do this, you can be trapped in a small area, only able to upgrade your cities, build on second tier spots around deserts, and hope for victory points from development cards and largest army.

These arguments would hold for wood as well but there are more wood than brick tiles.
Lucas M Sherry answered on October 10, 2011
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Our group likes Seafarers,5-6 players, with the fishermen option added in best.
Second would be Settlers of America: Trail to Rails.
We just got but haven't opened it yet, Catan: Struggle for Rome. Very very difficult to find. So we also ordered, while the price is low, Settlers of the Stone Age mainly because we want to have access to all the Catans. And we ordered several Catan: Oil Springs scenarios too. We're covered.

Ralph
Ralph A. Famiglietti answered on July 3, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Having played all of the major expansions my personal favorite is cities and knights. It adds the most strategy and allows you to win even if you don't expand right away. The city upgrades are also a nice addition. This expansion really balances out the game.
J. Solomon answered on February 13, 2012

A
KiWiSouP answered on March 17, 2015

A
Seafarers is a really good version because it balances the sheep and opens up much more strategy in a very simple manner. C&K is too wheat heavy and a bit overwhelming for newbies. Regular Catan is too simplistic, predictable, and is dominiated by brick.
Anthony J. Freund answered on June 1, 2011
Comment | 5 of 8 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product