Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

So when is new book coming out?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 9, 2012, 5:54:13 AM PST
L. Cola says:
Hello everyone,
First time posting here, so excuse any whoopsies I make in ignorance. What I'd like to know, after looking on Jim Butchers site, and not seeing ANYTHING about a new, or upcoming next novel is whats going on? He gets us hooked on the story, the characters, etc. and then doesn't put out? I feel like a bad date here, but why no info? Usually new books are posted 2-5 months ahead of time. Does that mean no new book ?
Also while I'm ranting, has anyone heard of another series starting after Codex closed?

Posted on Feb 10, 2012, 12:21:47 PM PST
Melacanth says:
From the official Butcher website

Jim updated his LiveJournal a few weeks ago with an update on his most recent projects:

Stuff I Been Doin'

Okay, for the folks who want to know, here's what I'm up to lately.

Over the past four months, I've been busy working several different things. First, I've been getting in some quality LARP time on weekends at least once a month. Hooah! It's really cool to not work weekends!

Oh, and some writing too:

First, our LARP organization is putting together a second rules set, one which hopefully will effectively transcend the stickiest problems of the current system. Chapters will be able to run whichever they like, but our hope is to create a system that is so nifty that you can't NOT want to play it. That's been a HUGE amount of work, and is going to be more, but we're getting to the point now where I'm impatient to have it finished because I wanna go PLAY it! It will be some serious fun.

I've done a trilogy of short stories with linked characters in which Bigfoot is Dresden's client. They take place spread out over the length of the series so far. The Bigfoot stories were about 40 percent of a novel in total page length. Then I sat down and wrote out the foundation for two more series: the first was a Black Company-inspired fantasy series which would be a prelude trilogy to my epic epic fantasy epic. The second is a steampunk fantasy series, with lots of airships, crystals, goggles, manners, and Hornblowerism. The steampunk stuff seems to be ringing the beta readers' bells, so I think that will be the next project I go to town on.

But that will probably have to wait. I have at least one more short story to get in before the year is up. It's for the "Dangerous Women" anthology, and I'm leaning toward writing it from Molly's point of view, in the time between Ghost Story and Cold Days. Come the new year, I'll start Cold Days. With any luck, there will be snow on the ground when it happens, and I can write the first few chapters with the only light in the room being reflected from the snow outside. That would be perfect.

Someone have a word with the people who schedule the weather, will you?

I'm just about done writing short stories. I've got two more next year and maybe one more novelette for the second short story anthology, and then I'm done with them. I need to focus on writing, you know, novels.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012, 12:23:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2012, 12:26:10 PM PST
Melacanth says:
Next year then, Sucks I know. He said while back he was planning 13 more books, with the last 3 being some sort of apocalyptic trilogy......I guess my grandchildren will enjoy them greatly at pace he is going. :)

Posted on Feb 14, 2012, 5:44:56 AM PST
I'm not really too surprised. We can't expect Jim to sit around and just grind out one story after another without some break in between, and the way Ghost Story was pushed back from the spring to late summer last year indicated that the next book would likely follow suit as well. I will just have to possess my patience in peace while I wait and perhaps look for something else to read.

Posted on Feb 14, 2012, 1:12:41 PM PST
Melacanth says:
We can't expect Jim to sit around and just grind out one story after another without some break in between

We can't? Hmm......I demand slave labor from him! More Dresden damn you!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012, 6:09:47 AM PST
L. Cola says:
Well, what he has been doing is churning out 2 books a year, Dersden and Codex. Codex is done, so now just Dresden. I did find out through Amazon that his next book is called "Cold Days", no word on when .
I would love to see a HBO series done on Dresden. Not like sci-fi version, a good one that follows books, like "game of Thrones" so far has. While I bought and watched the origional series, it left alot to be desired, and whoever wrote it didn't translate it well. They got almost all Harrys key ingrediates wrong,I keep picturing Him walking around with a hockey stick ,and a drum stick for a blasting rod, and made epasodes self supporting instead of sequential, no real need to watch the next one.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012, 11:16:28 AM PST
"Come the new year, I'll start Cold Days."

That caught me off guard. The April release of a new Dresden book has been a yearly cause for celebration. Last year hurt a bit with the late release, but I understand that Ghost Story was a harder book to write, according to Jim. To hear that he's just starting the new book in 2012 says the next book is a long way off.

The series is getting a bit unruly. Maybe he's having a harder time putting together a coherent story. It's becoming a "big" story - I can see that it would cause challenges. Or maybe he decided to take some time off for fun and family.

It's okay with me. Plenty of good books out there to read. As long as he doesn't follow George RR Martin and only have a new release every 5+ years. :)

Posted on Feb 17, 2012, 1:53:09 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 17, 2012, 1:53:32 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 18, 2012, 7:29:14 PM PST
L. Harrison says:
But what will I do about my desperate need for wise-cracking, humble kick-assedness? Started to itch and shiver here! Already read all the patricia briggs, kim harrison (eh), simon green, Pn elrod, tanya huff (smoke series fun stuff!), rob thurman....

I have nothing!!! hyperventilating here!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2012, 8:08:08 PM PST
"But what will I do about my desperate need for wise-cracking, humble kick-assedness?"

:) L. Harrison, I would recommend the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. Three great books in the series so far and another one close to release. Great series and the protagonist, Atticus O'Sullivan, is someone you and Harry Dresden would love. All the books are available for only $7.99 (including Kindle pricing!) and are well worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 5:51:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2012, 5:54:12 AM PST
L. Cola says:
I've found a few good series, look up Richard kadrey, Sandman Slim series.Lots of action and wise-cracking fun, from a man thats literally gone to hell and back. Kat Richardson has Graywalker series, very good. Illona Andrews Kate Danials series, very good. And for something not paranormal but exelent
look up P.J. Tracy, more a mystery series starting with Monkeywrench. Exelent laugh out loud smart-ass,great reading. Also try F. Paul Wilsons Repairman Jack series, epic and wonderful.Robin McKinley did
a book called Sunshine, a different take on the world and vampires, very good. Faith Hunter, either of her series. Kelley Armstrong is exelent, great series, especially her first book Bitten.
That should take the edge off for a while, I have more suggestions if you need it. I'm now reading Kevin Hearnes Druid series,into 2nd book and enjoying very much.

Posted on Mar 1, 2012, 7:46:18 PM PST
quality before speed. quality before speed. I would rather wait a couple years for the totally kick-ass continuation of a series I love, rather than be disappointed. Let the man take his own path at his own speed. This is, of course, my rationalization for my stupendously late paper I'm writing. :)

Posted on Mar 7, 2012, 8:55:00 AM PST
Brad Smith says:
...a steampunk series? Ugh. Please, please, no! I *hate* steampunk (with the exception of the Shadows of the Apt series).

But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Just so long as it's not "almost done" and then finally shows up 5 years after that statement.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012, 3:40:36 PM PST
Ha! I know. I wonder what kind of "infernal devices" will be involved. I'm not a steampunk fan, but I'll give it a try since Jim's writing it.

I do like the idea of the "Black Company" style series, though. I loved that series and if an author of Jim Butcher's merit uses it for inspiration . . . I'd be all for it.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012, 7:32:03 AM PDT
Mikey says:
For me, i'm done for a few years, like maybe 10. I love the Dresden files, but if he's going to write like this, i'm just going to forget and wait a decade and see how many he has out then... maybe it'll be 3 or 4. lol. Which i'll be honest, i hate getting involved in a series that still ongoing. I like waiting until the stories finished and then reading it.... so having gotten addicted to the Dresden files, Sookie Stackhouse series, and The Hollows its a double edged curse. I love them, but the crap Jim is pulling now is why i hate it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012, 5:45:52 AM PDT
L. Cola says:
I feel like a book junkie sometimes, but I usually go on reading sometimes after I know I should stop,
like the Anita Blake series. I kept plowing through bad books after bad books hoping it would get better.
Plus you got to find out the end of the story.I did stop reading Anita Blake. I stopped watching Lost a couple epasodes into last season because I decided they were just jerking you around, never did see ending, proubly never will. So I guess it narrows down to how much time goes by till you don't care anymore, kind of like the baseball strike a few years ago. They finially started back up and alot of people didn't care as much about it as they did before. I've read the other series you've talked about,
and enjoyed, there are lots out there, I left a list in one of my other posts, of authors and series to check out, most are ongoing ,not finished though. Let me know if you need more.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012, 5:54:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2012, 5:57:10 AM PDT
L. Harrison says:
Thank you! Hadn't tried the Hearnes Iron Druid. Ilona Andrews left me cold. Just didn't enjoy the writing style, and Kate Daniels was fun, but wore off quickly. Can't wait to try the others!

Posted on Apr 20, 2012, 1:59:20 PM PDT
Aerin says:
I hate waiting for the next installment. However, Anita Blake has taught me the advantage of waiting for something good.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012, 11:43:18 PM PDT
C. Murray says:
I highly suggest Patrick Rothfuss, excellent books.

Posted on Apr 28, 2012, 9:50:55 PM PDT
virginia d says:
According to the http://Amazon.co.uk site the book Cold Days is supposed to be released Jan 3 2013. Nothing about the story line though.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012, 6:03:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2012, 7:59:21 PM PDT
Lorraine says:
Ouch....ouch....yeehooooouch!!! Say it isn't so....that it was a typo, a mistake, a gargantuan lie. I can see why it might be set to be released in January, being Cold Days. It could help set the mood so to speak, increasing sales....and on that note, trust me, as I am sure all Dresden fans will agree...we don't need that! I could be sitting on a beach in 100°F and 80+ humidity and still sink into Cold Days and shiver.
But.....argh, I have to keep reminding myself that patience in reading is not just the stand by, it is a necessity. It is also the same with writing. I wouldn't want Jim Butcher or any other author to rush writing just to appease. Authors and Readers have all my sympathetic understanding on that subject...but not the publishing companies who might hold a story to increase the sales.
I have also heard rumors on a fall release date, but that might be Molly's short story.

Posted on May 3, 2012, 12:50:38 PM PDT
Kelly says:
His website said the manuscript is due in .. July 1, IIRC. See how long editing and printing take. He has some short stories coming out first with Bigfoot.... (no, I'm serious)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012, 6:01:02 AM PDT
R. Baldwin says:
I also greatly enjoyed the 'Black Company', especially the first ones in the series. If Mr Butcher writes a series along these lines, I shall read!
I shall buy 'Cold Days', though 'Ghost Story' did not do it for me. Perhaps a re-read just before I read 'Cold Days' will be more enjoyable.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2013, 3:48:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2013, 3:50:21 PM PDT
Silvermatter says:
Hi there,
I'm trying to be patient waiting for the next Dresden book, but..... so I started rereading the series. I find there is so much I missed the first read because I was gobbling each book.

I tried to get into Codex. Just didn't work for me but that doesn't mean you should not give it a read.

I honestly haven't found a good read to fill in for The Dresden Series. If you, or anyone, have a suggestion please let me know.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  16
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Feb 9, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

This discussion is about
Ghost Story (Dresden Files, No. 13)
Ghost Story (Dresden Files, No. 13) by Jim Butcher (Hardcover - July 26, 2011)
4.4 out of 5 stars (1,166)