Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Diablo III: Collector's Edition forum

why amazon over gamestop?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 5, 2012 11:50:15 PM PDT
Storey says:
Some people have posted that they would rather order from amazon. Can anyone explain this to me? I love being able to trade in an old game and get a few bucks off of my purchase. Way easier to do at gamestop, and there you usually get some exclusive content with a preorder. Just curious, thought it might be a good discussion.

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 12:08:38 AM PDT
Save money on taxes in some States.

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 3:43:39 AM PDT
User says:
Tuesday = Workday. Gamestop midnight release pointless for 9-5ers. Amazon will deliver to my job for free on release day. I can then go home and install/play. This is without getting into why I purchase nothing from Gamestop.

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 8:11:49 AM PDT
Ross Richard says:
Amazon= no taxes and free shipping.

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 8:17:18 AM PDT
Tiffany A. says:
I won't pre anything from GS any more. If they have it on the shelf and I want it I'll trade in old games towards an item, but I've pre ordered from my Local GS twice and once on-line Colectors Editions, paid the full price in advance, and then they didn't have enough stock to cover my pre purchase. I have NEVER had this happen ordering from Amazon.

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 10:00:47 AM PDT
save money on tax, save time and money(gas) from free delivery, and superior customers service.

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 10:16:42 AM PDT
Geomancer says:
I don't have to reject numerous pre-order and magazine offers when I just want to buy my game and leave.

But the no tax and save on gas money is the big reason. That's at least $7.50 for a $60 game (tax plus gallon of gas).

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 12:16:21 PM PDT
Taylor Marsh says:
No tax + free s/h + save money on gas (for 2 trips, 1 to get to gamestop and back to preorder, and another to pickup the game). <--- With today's gas prices and tax rate, this typically saves me around $15 per game, and I don't have to waste any of my time going anywhere.

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 1:56:33 PM PDT
Jason says:
time and money for gas is big for me. the two closest game stops are about a 20 minute drive away, the only place i have close is a walmart and they never have anything on the release day save for halo or the yearly modern warfare entries.

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 3:26:09 PM PDT
∆nima says:
Amazon doesn't insist you pre-order horrible games like Homefront and Duke Nukem Forever while you're in the middle of buying a good game.

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 3:47:10 PM PDT
N. Lam says:
tax

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2012 5:47:31 PM PDT
R. Sheppard says:
You actually pay more to pre-order versus amazon. I believe it's $5.00 more to pre-order from GS and you also save money on time/gas on driving to get your game when the game arrives on your front doorstep on the same day release feature.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2012 9:35:23 PM PDT
Smintitule says:
Because I worked for GameStop for three years, and believe that it's an extremely corrupt, horrible company.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 3:34:23 AM PDT
Geomancer says:
You have to put at minimum a $5 deposit on the game, but when you go to pick it up you would only pay $55 (total of $60).

Bassicaly you are giving them an interest free loan, and they are claiming you are paying for them to hold a copy for you ... until you go in on release day and realize they already sold your copy and they have no more.

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 11:07:08 AM PDT
Nathan Lynch says:
I despise Gamestop and how they run the business. The two worst parts are how they open new games for their shelf displays and then try to sell it to you for the new price when they seal it with a piece of tape. I've had them try to sell me "new" games that had scratches, missing instructions, etc...

Also the ridiculous buyback policy for selling used games. One example was a DS game I bought on release day (Tuesday)for $30, played the game a little and didn't like it so I went to Gamestop on a Friday to trade it in, they offered me $4 for it even though they were selling it for $26.99 for their usual 10% discount on used items.

I refuse to give them my business anymore and purchase almost everything at local shops, Amazon or other stores (Target, BestBuy if they have a sale). Amazon gives those $10 credits for new purchases frequently so why not buy from them.

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 12:01:36 PM PDT
J. Butler says:
Gamestop tried to convince me to preorder a 3DS back when I preordered pokemon black/white.

Their agrument was that it would be hard to get the console and it would sell out soooo fast - LOL

I would have raged if I had paid full price for the thing and have it drop almost 50% in price.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 4:23:02 AM PDT
because my local Gamestop is full of big jerks, haha.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 4:38:17 AM PDT
S. Stewart says:
You are losing a ton of money by trading in with GS over Amazon. Maybe your baller and don't care about money, but in that case you probably wouldn't be trading in games in the first place. Amazon also offers preorder stuff, and a lot of the time they flat out give you 20 bucks off your next game, AND they don't take money in advance for preorders.

If you preorder at GS, you have to give them at least 5 bucks, which they put in a bank account and it makes them money and doesn't do anything for you. It's seriously the most evil genius scam ever. They trick you into giving them interest free loans!

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 11:12:22 AM PDT
R. Medina says:
Gamestop has given me many reasons to dislike them and other reasons to hate being physically in the store. Also, in the days since I did my D2 collector's edition purchase from them, I have become a 9-5'er and Amazon release date delivery makes a lot more sense (I already have prime) and no tax saves me some $. Amazon will also notify me when the package is delivered so I know when it's time to go home and get started. Also, I had plenty of time to "fish" for a 5% off lightning deal on top of that. What you do is add a bunch of OTHER blizzard products to your cart or wishlist and then one day your personalized deals show Diablo 3 for 5% off the base price. Easy win when you have so much lead time.

Have you tried doing the Amazon trade-ins for games? I wonder how their trade-in values compare to gamestop. Not that I ever trade-in, I hoard games until its time to donate them to younger members of my extended family.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 5:29:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2012 6:42:07 PM PDT
I have not had issues with the Gamestop in Muncie, IN or the two in Lake City, FL.

Then again I do not pre order games anymore from them.

My issues are that when I have pre ordered games (esp when they were gifts) then go in to find out that they are sold out and they seem to take forever refunding you what you had to put down in order for a GUARANTEED game that well they sold therefore making it not GUARANTEED. Then moving like molasses wasting even more of my time s I can get my money back.

Also, I have noticed as well that they have tried to sell opened games as new. Sorry open is not new and then they try to argue with you about how it was opened by accident. It doesn't fly.

Even their used games are sometimes over priced.

I very seldom purchase any games from them. One time I got a game from Amazon as new for the same price that they were selling it as used. When I brought it up they tried to deny that this game was ever selling for that price as new. I showed it to them.

I get free 2 day shipping, no hassles, no spending money on gas and never had it sold out either even when I pre-ordered it. If by chance it does not get delivered in the two days, Amazon has always refunded me by giving a certificate. I can't beat that not to mention just the dealing with people.

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 4:11:09 AM PDT
User says:
Pretty crazy they over sell pre-orders. I ordered Witcher 2 around here, was in Texas when it got released and didn't go into the store until 4 wks after. They had called me at least 3 times trying to get me to release/pick-up my copy because they had sold-out and wanted to sell it. But I still don't use them. -.-

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 2:12:32 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 17, 2012 2:16:46 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 5:20:19 AM PDT
Taylor Marsh says:
@ S. Martindale

I've never honestly "pre-ordered" a game. Before Amazon, even HUGE releases like Halo 3 had plenty of copies for everyone. Do you know why? Making a digital game disc is cheap, very cheap. The game along with the case would likely cost less than $10 to manufacture. Therefor, there's no way they would ever "run out" of game discs.

- Even now, I don't pre-order games. I wait until the last week were Amazon typically offers discounts, and $10-$20 giftcard promotions. - Even with collecter items such as this, I refuse to "pre-order". I'd rather buy the normal edition, and download the game from Blizzard at midnight.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 6:01:20 AM PDT
Howie says:
Gamestop in general is more focused on ripping people off than anything else. Amazon has been a very good company through the years of me ordering from them and they have more than earned my patronage through good prices and amazing customer service. Gamestop's service doesn't even come close to Amazon.com and good service is rare to find these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 4:05:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012 4:10:35 AM PDT
omegalegend says:
tl;dr:
DO NOT BUY FORM GAMESTOP.
EVER.
Just do NOT do it.

here is why:

yea i (unfortunately) worked at a gamestop about 10yrs ago (right after teh name change from 'Funcoland')... I HATE Gamestop and the employees and their whole business; yea we used to take brand new games open one or two for display/ let customers play it etc/ then repackage the discs/ and go shrink wrap them again... hell, the boss would let us take home new games to "try them out so u can talk to customers about them" (meaning try to say blah blah blah, this game is soooo cool, its friggin awesome, blahblah blah, cmon buy it)... then we'd re shrink wrap the game we discs we took home/played or used as display games.

They have a shrink wrap machine in the back, so they could take used games and re-wrap tehm to make them look new...

i hate how they do that, i hate how you can sell your old games to them (and anyone that does is a moron, because u can get more money (CASH MONEY/NOT STORE CREDIT) selling a used game on amazon or ebay/etc... Gamestop takes a used game say its a 59.99 new game (lets use Skyrim for example)... So Moron gamer kid buys Skyrim, plays through it, decides he's done with it or whatever and wants to trade it in, he goes and sells it back to Gamestop for HALF -THATS RIGHT, HALF ($30.00, u'd be lucky if they gave you $35.00 STORE CREDIT)

Then -this is the sick part- Gamestop turns around and sells that copy for $55!!! they sell Every Used Game for approx 5.00 off retail... so you can get Skyrim new for 59.99 new or buy it used for $54.99!!! WHAT A DEAL /sarcasmoff what a gyp! (AND DONT YOU WANT INSURANCE AND A MEMBERSHIP SIR?!??? CMON YOU REALLY NEED IT!!!) i friggin hate gamestop...

plus one time i bought a wii there, then the next day saw walmart had the wii $20 cheaper with mario cart instead of the bundle I had got, And I took my wii back, litterally the VERY NEXT DAY, adn teh piss ass manager punk kid would NOT refund me because he said it was openned.... NO, He just didnt want to loose his commission on the sale or wtvr... I said well match thier price at least please. We don't do that, it's not our policy he said. I damn near jumpedthe counter and killed this guy... He said it's just $20 bucks, and I scrfeamed at him in front of 4-5 other customers.. "IF 20bucks iSNT MUCH TO YOU, THEN YOU WRITE ME A CHECK!" to which he walked away and started trying to avoid me and talk to other potential customers...

I said to the other 4-5 groups of parents/kids/people "DONT BUY HERE, GO TO BESTBUY OR WALMART, I WILL NEVER SHOP HERE AGAIN!" then stormed off... Only to repackage my wii and bring it back to another Gamestop location and get a refund saying it was unopened.... Still, they are total asses, they act like theyre some elite gamer pricks and know it alls.... and Gamestop has the WORST return policy.

T-H-E W-O-R-S-T RETURN POLICY.

WALMART and BESTBUY both price match (I believe for 30 days/and Amazon does the same thing too)... NOT Gamestop... and Walmart/Bestbuy will not only price match guarantee/ but they will take back opened consoles.... For some reason Gamestops will not take back ANYTHING opened... and being a former employee, we would open new games and re wrap them/sell them as new (yea i was a punk back then about 18-19 yrs old and i think PS1 and N64s were the new systems out)... but NEVER BUY NEW GAMES/CONSOLES FROM THEM... if you have to use a brick and mortar store -hit Walmart or Bestbuy, not Gamestop...

it's going down just like Blockbuster, watch, i'll bet in less than 10 years they will all be going out due to used games not being compatible with the next gen consoles (i know it's just a rumor/but i think it may be true)
here's a couple fast source articles i skimmed thru that back me up sort of-
CNET: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-57405801-17/how-much-do-industry-ceos-hate-used-games-a-whole-whole-lot/
Gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/news/next-playstation-to-lock-out-used-games-report-6368582
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  31
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Apr 5, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Diablo III: Collector's Edition
Diablo III: Collector's Edition by Blizzard Entertainment (Mac, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
3.6 out of 5 stars (380)