Workplace Solutions Editors' Holiday Gift Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Presto! Laundry Stocking Stuffers Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon
Customer Discussions > Super Mario 3D Land forum

Can you play this on DS XL if you only do 2D mode?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 65 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 21, 2011 9:56:38 PM PDT
Neil says:
I can 't seem to get a clear cut answer on this. Basically no new games are coming out for DSi or DS XL right so does anyone know if you can play 3DS games on a DS XL if you only use 2D mode. I'm assuming the answer is no since Nintendo wants us all to buy the new hardware. Sigh - at 42 and my kids getting bored with using the DS I can't justify upgrading yet again to the new hardware. Especially since I love playing Professor Layton on the big screen of the XL. It sure is a lot easier on my aging eyes.

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 10:23:34 PM PDT
Algo Fonix says:
No, you'll need a 3DS to play this game.

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 10:48:29 PM PDT
J. Rigney says:
3DS cartridges are slightly larger on top. So while you can play DS games on a 3DS, 3DS cartridges will not physically fit in a DS/DSi.

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 11:17:57 PM PDT
Neil says:
Thanks for the info. folks. Much appreciated. Not sure I want to go back to a small screen. Can't be too long before they come out with a 3DS XL. LOL

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 11:19:51 PM PDT
Neil says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 1:22:07 AM PDT
While that would be nice, the 3DS has more powerful hardware in it, and the 3DS games are built to use that new hardware. Even if you're playing in 2D, the graphics can be of a much higher quality. It would be like trying to play an Xbox 360 game on the original Xbox, the hardware just doesn't support it. Nintendo just changed the cartridge a little bit so people wouldn't try to put 3DS games into their DS.

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 11:34:29 AM PDT
You can even strip off the little piece on the cartridge to get it to fit in an old DS, but it won't play at all because it's designed for different hardware. This isn't an iteration in the current DS line but is a new generation altogether.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 2:11:33 PM PDT
Neil says:
Makes sense. Just wish I'd waited but I still enjoy the XL. I'll wait and see how the 3DS does before jumping in. The 3D isn't something I'm all that hot on but I must say that what I've seen is cool even in 2D mode. Thanks to everyone who responded and set me straight. :)

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 1:16:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2011 9:23:56 PM PDT
saskamazon says:
you could consider trading in the XL to soften the financial blow of the upgrade. the screen on the 3DS is smaller than the XL, but not as small as the DSL. fantastic colour, crisp graphics, even when played in 2D .... the game releases of the future (at least 1st party Nintendo) will primarily be for the 3DS ... as well as the many additional features the newer hardware offers, I would certainly take the plunge ... if you enjoy handheld gaming at all, b/c eventually, all the new games will be exclusive to this unit.

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 6:06:06 AM PDT
sitcom_guy says:
I was looking at Mario Land 3DS and came on here. I wanted to add my two cents (and to clarify). Yes, 3DS is a more powerful hardware than the DS. It is basically like this: DS=N64 graphics (64-bit) and 3DS=Wii graphics (128-bit). That is the general idea. But if you want to be technical technical, Gamecube was 128-bit and the Wii is slightly better than that. So as someone said: "It's like playing an XBox 360 game on an XBox system." Not gonna happen. I hope that helps. Also, to the original poster: There's two new Professor Layton game coming out for the 3DS next year, well TBD. You can pick one up then!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2011 9:53:04 AM PDT
the screens may be small but they have a higher resolution than the measly DS. the DSi XL just blow up the pixels on your screen so everything can look pixilated. The 3DS has a higher count which welcomes for higher textures and details since u can see more, and the top screen is widescreen. i kept my DSi XL and have a 3DS, just play your DS games on your XL or save them if you wanna just bring one handheld, bring the 3DS. i dont mind the smaller screens, its not DS Lite small and its more high Quality.

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 6:21:44 PM PDT
This is why Nintendo should've chosen a different name for the system. After going from DS to DSlite to DSI to DSI XL which all played the same games it was a big mistake to just call it the 3DS. I'm a hardcore gamer and while I obviously know the difference and my son and I have owned one since launch day, I can certainly see why people have been confused by this.

In short if it helps people grasp the difference think of it like this, the original DS line is basically a slightly enhanced N64 in terms of performance with a dual screen. The 3DS is fairly close in terms of hardware performance to a Gamecube or Wii but with much more modern built in support for pixel and vertex shading finally giving us a Nintendo platform that can handle modern game engines, although obviously toned down versions of them from what is on consoles, pc's, tablets, etc.

It really is great to finally have Nintendo hardware that can handle these fantastic effects that really date back to the Geforce 3 and original Xbox 1 GPU that brought about a focus on per pixel rendering. You could get some of the same effects on Nintendo's platforms through very talented programmers and a ton of hard work but that was really only realistic for us to expect out of Nintendo's own teams working to sell the consoles because due to the lack of performance most of the worlds best programmers were working on current engines and not trying to push extra performance from a decade old chip design that they could get up and running on modern chips in no time with no effort.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 6:53:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2011 6:54:49 PM PDT
I disagree. There is a difference in how Nintendo marketed the 3DS compared to the DSi models. There were never any retail games (to my knowledge) with a DSi label on it, meaning only compatible for DSi models. The 3DS is a new machine, and 3DS games clearly have '3DS' on the box package. Nintendo assumed that people would understand the age old principle of succession. You can't play a Blu-ray in a DVD player, you can't play a PS3 game in a PS2 system, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 5:10:27 PM PDT
Cor says:
Actually, customers understand the principle of succession just fine. Where they get confused is that they don't know that it's a successive console. DS, DS-Lite, DSi, and DS XL all play the same game cartridges. "3DS" looks like another variation of Nintendo's previous DS pattern. Especially when you compare a 3DS side-by-side against a DSi or DS-Lite, the two consoles look similar enough.

To use your examples, another common name for "Blu-Ray" is "BDVD", but it's not marketed as that because people would get confused. So an *entirely* different name means something that's not compatible. As for PS2 and PS3, users have been trained to know that if the last digit is larger, then it's newer and not necessarily compatible (though people do actually get confused anyways).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2011 7:36:29 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
Yeah, the 3DS is an entirely new system, an entire generation past the DS. I think the name is confusing a lot of people who think it's just another DS model.

And yeah, the screens look REALLY small when you're used to the Playstation Portable and DS XL!

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 6:54:15 PM PDT
JJ350 says:
The 3DS doesn't only offer 3D over the DSi, it also offers new hardware with vastly improved sound and graphics capabilities. Plus, it also has a built in analog thumb stick.

There's no way that any 3DS games will ever work on a DSi. That's like expecting Game Boy Advance games to be able to work on a Game Boy Color, or Playstation 3 games to work on a Playstation 2. Stop being cheap and get the new hardware if you're interested in the new games.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 1:40:28 PM PST
There were some DSi-only titles, though not many. System: Flaw (DSi Only) is one that comes to mind.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 3:41:05 AM PST
JJ350 says:
I always thought the biggest benefit of having a DSi over the standard DS and DS lite was the XL model as well as the online store. I still prefer to use my DSi XL whenever I play an original DS title such as Pokemon Black.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 7:50:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2011 7:55:29 AM PST
Well, I agree with you, JJ350, I love the big honking screen on my XL. However, the purists will maintain that since the XL doesn't actually add any resolution (just stretches the existing resolution across a larger screen) that the graphics don't look as good on a XL. Personally, I don't notice it very much and prefer the larger screen.

The 3DS, though... is in a whole new ballpark. I do kind of wish they'd make a 3DS XL model one of these days. One with a larger screen (and more forgiving viewing angle), dual analog sticks, and more room in the larger casing for a bigger battery. I'd totally buy one. Wouldn't even hurt my feelings if they jacked the price back up to $250, if I could have a bigger one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 2:36:55 AM PST
WolfPup says:
I think the graphics are better on the XL. I mean if your vision's super great...you can use it further from your head, if nothing else, and the screens are pretty great.

It's really hard to go back to <4.3" screens!

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 4:56:11 AM PST
Dillon says:
The 3Ds is significantly more powerful than the DS. The DS lies between the N64 and Gamecube. The 3DS is closer to the Wii.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 6:27:43 AM PST
WolfPup says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 8:01:43 AM PST
WolfPup says:
I didn't know any ever got released! I think it theoretically had it's own special packaging, like white or something?

I guess theoretically the DSi has 4x the RAM and 2x the CPU clock speed, which are pretty substantial upgrades, but since they were unused, it was a moot point. I don't even REMEMBER that much anymore, since...well, apparently it had one game. Not exactly a Gameboy Color!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2011 3:10:17 AM PST
Nona Suomi says:
Less powerful than a Gamecube? Let's take a look at the 3DS specs, shall we?

128 MB FCRAM, compared to the Wii's 64MB of accessible "external" SDRAM. PICA200 graphics processor which clocks at a max of 400MHz and has been said to meet and possibly surpass the Wii's own "Hollywood" GPU made by ATI. While the processor specs on the "Nintendo ARM" used has not been released, they are commonly speculated to be anywhere between 500MHz and 1GHz, compared to the Wii's own IBM-branded "Broadway" chip, meaning the 3DS is either slightly slower or faster than, but certainly on-par with, the Wii in terms of processing power. In all metrics which matter for measuring performance, the 3DS is nearly as powerful as, if not more so, than the Wii, let alone the Gamecube, so I think you'd better rethink and revise that statement.

tl;dr- Cite your facts, because the system specs are calling you a liar, and so am I.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2011 10:51:51 AM PST
WolfPup says:
<<<Nona Suomi says:
Less powerful than a Gamecube?>>>

Of course.

<<<PICA200 graphics processor which clocks at a max of 400MHz>>>

It's clocked at 133MHz, not 400. It's fixed function, like every other GPU of this class save for the Xbox 1. It's got 4 pixel pipes, like every other GPU of this class save for the Playstation 2 and I think Dreamcast.

<<<and has been said to meet and possibly surpass the Wii's own "Hollywood" GPU made by ATI.>>>

By whom? They're both fixed function, both 4 pixel pipes, but the Wii's GPU is clocked almost 2x as fast.

<<<While the processor specs on the "Nintendo ARM" used has not been released, they are commonly speculated to be anywhere between 500MHz and 1GHz>>>

Huh? We know exactly what it uses. Two ARM 11s at 266MHz. The PSP uses two MIPS R4000s at 333MHz, the PS2 a MIPS @ 300 MHz with essentially an extra coprocessor (technically two, but like the PSP, the first is used for T&L usually, rather than having that on the GPU). The Gamecube uses a modified PowerPC G3 with SIMD at 486MHz.

Unless the 3DS' GPU has some tricks we don't know about, it's not as good. And we know the CPUs aren't as good. Even if you got 100% out of both of them-not super likely in a game senario-they're single issue, versus the Gamecube's dual issue CPU. They're just not as good.

<<<compared to the Wii's own IBM-branded "Broadway" chip, meaning the 3DS is either slightly slower or faster than, but certainly on-par with, the Wii in terms of processing power.>>>

No it isn't. The Wii's CPU is the same as the Gamecube's, save clocked 50% faster.

<<<In all metrics which matter for measuring performance, the 3DS is nearly as powerful as, if not more so, than the Wii>>>

How so? It's got a slower CPU than the Gamecube, with-on paper at least-equivalent specs. It's got less than half the CPU power. How does that equate to "nearly as powerful as, if not more so, than the Wii", when it doesn't match the Gamecube?

<<<tl;dr- Cite your facts, because the system specs are calling you a liar, and so am I. >>>

Ditto. Except I'm assuming you're not lying, just not informed, which is fine :)

Even if you don't want to look up the specs, just look at the games. Now I'm not talking about QUALITY here, because I don't like Sunshine, but look at Super Mario Sunshine versus Super Mario 3D Land. I *LOVE* the DK Jungle Beat team's games, and expect to vastly prefer Mario Land to Sunshine, but Sunshine has technically far better visuals. As do Pikmin, Galaxy, etc. for that matter. What we've seen from the 3DS goes along with what we know of the specs-stuff like Ridge Racer having to cut cars from the 2005 PSP Ridge Racers and the like.

It's a generational leap over the DS, but unless that GPU is hiding secrets that somehow let a slower clocked fixed function 4 pixel pipe design overpower faster hardware...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Super Mario 3D Land forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  65
Initial post:  Oct 21, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

This discussion is about
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Mario 3D Land by Nintendo (Nintendo 3DS)
4.7 out of 5 stars (1,096)